Has anyone gotten a shingles shot?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 8:59 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Health

• I dont know but my mom has it now for the SECOND time. If there was a shot I think I would get one, shingles can be painful from what I hear, not to mention you would have to stay away from babies, children, and preg people!
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 9:49 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I never knew there was one. I had a mild case of shingles once so I probably wouldn't have had the shot anyway.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 9:06 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I think I did, but I'm not sure. I'll have to ask.

Answer by Bmat at 9:12 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• No I haven't and I had an aunt that died from them many years ago
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:48 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Shingles is just a recurrence of chickenpox. So basically you would be getting the varivax that they give to kids. There really isnt' a need for it. I had shingles while I was pregnant and it really wasn't that bad, just super itchy and I treated it with purell b/c they couldn't give me any antivirals.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:57 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• The shot is recommended for those 60 and over my doctor said because that's the age where there are the most problems, and the age that the vaccine was tested on. It can be very, very serious, worse the older you get. Check with your doctor to be sure about your particular need. If you've had shingles once, you can still have the shot. They've been out of the vaccine here for months. I'm hoping it will be available in January.
    SweetLuci

Comment by SweetLuci (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Dec. 21, 2010