Why does everyone want to touch a pregnant woman's tummy or a tiny little baby?

And does it make you angry or upset when they do it?

adriennfaklya

Asked by adriennfaklya at 9:19 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• People, especially women are just drawn to a baby, wether in the womb or not. They are just an amazing sight and they want a part of that. It bothered me a little bit when I was preggo but only cause it was my body there touching and they certainly should ask first but I never had much of a problem with people wanting to touch my babies or hold them...the only thing that worried me was if the person might be sick.
    Triscuit

Answer by Triscuit at 9:25 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I don't know but it sure does tick me off. Nothing like invading one's personal space right?!?!
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 9:20 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Don't mind them touching my stomach but my newborn is another story.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 9:22 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I asked this question to my doctor when I was pregnant, and he didn't have an answer either. It used to drive me CRAZY when people did this! I only allowed my Dr., midwife and DH to touch me. Everyone else got "The Look". lol
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:22 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Because they are touching the miracle of life.

Answer by older at 9:29 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Lots of women reminisce about the time they were pregnant especially if it was a delighful pregnancy. It is a special time and short lived. I would never ask to touch a mom's belly, but I often ask when she is due and wish her the best of luck. I think it is the same for babies. They are so special and people remember their little ones. Again, I dote over them sometimes but do not ask to touch. It is overdoing it to do so.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:00 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I guess they are just fascinated, but it would tick me off when old women with there dirty hands would touch my new born.
    lmwh73

Answer by lmwh73 at 9:23 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• You can touch my belly if you want to (hey it feels good to have my poor swollen tummy rubbed) But to touch my infant well thems fightin words.. Don't touch my baby during cold or flu season I don't care how clean you say your hands are just don't....
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 10:19 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• It didn't bother me when someone wanted to feel my tummy as long as they knew their bounderies lol. I would never let just anyone touch all over my newborn. Germs!!!!!
    gatorswife

Answer by gatorswife at 11:16 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Because they are horribly self absorbed. They think their interest in your baby is more important than respecting the baby. Get your filthy hands off my kid!

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:58 AM on Dec. 19, 2010