• In the Spotlight:

Bra at 7 years old?

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my daughter needs a bra. She'll be 8 in March.

We went and bought her a couple of training bras, but I am so shocked she needs them this young. The boob fairy totally skipped over me. I guess she gets it from her dad's side.

They're not big, but she has protrusions. Don't you think this is a little too young?

We eat healthy and she's lactose intolerant, so please, I don't want to hear about hormones in food.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• lol.homones in food? lol...anyway...yeah, my niece is the same way and she's eight years old. She needs training bra's already too, i guess i didnt find it wierd or anything, although it is young but its fine!
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 9:35 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• It could happen. I was a young bloomer. My DD was about 8-9 when I got her some. Some just show earlier than others

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 9:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• my dd has had to wear a bra for the past year, she's 8. Like you said, not big boobies but, nipply (as my dh said). He's actually the one that insisted on a bra.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 9:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Sorry I got her SOME...bras
    bizima4

• My sister was like that, in a bra by 7. She ended up with Double D's and had to have a breast reduction. Geeze I wish i had me some boobs!
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I know, hormones in food.

I was apart of a group once that ranted about hormones in milk and meat products making our girls develop breasts and start their periods earlier.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a "nipply" girl. LOL!
    Anonymous

• Yeah that is normal for some families. At least she didn't start her period at 8, right? I was 9, and it is scary as crap.They grow faster than what we think
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 8:08 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I was a full C by 10, so its not as crazy as you think...the sad thing is I wasn't "allowed" to wear a bra til middle school because my mother didn't want to adjust to the idea that her daughter was changing I guess. You've just got to roll with it whether its food hormones or not...lol...and fyi, I've never heard that!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:38 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I'm a believer in food hormones.. but i don't think that is all to blame. I didn't get hit by the boob fairy until i was 12.. and nother nature didn't bless me with her monthly gift until 14. So even though food may play a part in development.. it's not solely to blame. I have a dd who will be 8 in january.. she's not nipply at all... and most likley will take after me in reguards to the boob fairy and her sister, Mama N. But we talk about these things alot.. becasue i know she's growing up and will be in need of such things soon enough. I am thinking of getting her some deoderant.. because she sometimes comes home from school smelling a little funky.. It's part of growing up. It might just be genetics and that's the reason for the early development
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 5:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• My own DD is just turned 5, so no first hand experience. But, my brothers 3 DD's all wore bra's by 8, and started menses by 9. Poor kids. It is awful young. >not looking forward to it
    ColormeGarnet

Answer by ColormeGarnet at 9:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2008