when is a good time to potty train?

ok my daughter is 18 months old and i dont know wether i should begin potty training her she dosent understand and she never can tell me wether she has to go poop or pee should i wait until she has a better understanding of the whole matter or should i be persistant and try and potty train anyway?

missmenace

Asked by missmenace at 9:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started "potty training" at about 15 months. He didn't actually use it just sort played with it. At about 18 months I moved the potty chair into the front room (we only have 1 bathroom and it upstairs) and started having him walk around naked. When he woke up in the morning, I would tell him it was a training potty day and that meant he needed to pee in his potty. When I had extra time, I would give him a big cup of juice and after he drank it put on a movie and give him a sucker. As long as he had that sucker, he had to sit on the training potty. At first he would pee in the potty, but after a while he would come to me and tell me he went. A friend of mine was having trouble with potty training and she tried that and she said it worked really well.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 9:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• My daughter is 16 months. We started about a month ago. I started by (and still do) put her on a little potty every hour. We also paid attention she had to go poo. At first, we would watch for the face. Then we got used to time. When she would make a poo face, we would sit her onthe potty. She gets a little cookie/cracker for sitting on the potty. That kept her there long enough to stay there. Once she understood that pooing in the potty meant a chocolate chip, she was on board. Getting her to pee on the potty has been a little harder.

Your daughter will get it. Be persistent and let her know she is doing a good job.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 9:58 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• i would buy one and get to put her dolly in potty training,youll have to help her,make a game out of it,do this for aine and bout a month and then let her run round in nickers and take note of times when her pants are wet,do this for a week and then look back on your notes and times,take her on those times,it will work i did this to both of my kid before they were two
    cruizymum

Answer by cruizymum at 4:14 AM on Nov. 9, 2008