Transracial Adoption Movies or Books?

Does anyone know of any movies that have adoptive families in them? Particularly mixed race families? For instance white parents black children or black parents and white children. I would love to have my kids watch a movie or read a book about adoption where the main cast is an adopted mixed race family. We have adoption books but none look like us. Thanks :0)

sillytime

Asked by sillytime at 9:35 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Adoption

• I found this list. I looked them all up and I like Brown Like Me and Welcome Home Little Baby best for what you are looking for.

Here is the complete list I found:
    # Brown Like Me by Noelle Lamperti [Dingman/McKay, 2000]
    # Flora’s Family by Annette Aubrey [QED Publishing, 2008]
    # I Don’t Have Your Eyes by Carrie Kitze [EMK Press, 2003]
    # The Coffee Can Kid by Jan Czech [Child & Family Press, 2002]
    # Welcome Home, Little Baby by Lisa Harper [AuthorHouse, 2008]

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:46 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Have you seen Meet the Robinsons? It has an Excellent message about families being built by adoption. Here is a good reveiw if you haven't if you have it may be worth watching agian and discussing these topics> LINK

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:01 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Thank you B. Mom The movie looks great! I will definately check out these books :0) My Children are 3, 4 and 5 but my oldest is starting to try to figure out what is going on. LOL I thought books and movies could help her understand and feel more like we are just a normal family because we are. We just ALL look different. Thanks again xoxo
    sillytime

Comment by sillytime (original poster) at 8:10 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• No problem! I am glad I could help!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:53 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• The only book I can really think of is "The Family No One Wanted" which is about a couple that adopted across race and adopted handicapped kids, etc. However, it is a chapter book and is way too old for little ones. Have you thought about reading them "The Ugly Duckling"? That might be a very good introduction. Read it to them and explain that the "ugly duckling" looked different because it came from a different set of eggs, or something along those lines.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 5:38 PM on Dec. 20, 2010