belly sleeping

my 4 month old loves to sleep on his belly. This has just started. He can roll from side to belly, and when he is on his stomach he can prop himself up on his elbows and look around. Is this still dangerous? He had an incline wedge, but he has got to where he will move his head of the side of it and wake up because of being uncomfortable. What should I do? He hates to sleep without the wedge unless on the tummy. Sorry if this is confusing lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter slept on her tummy from day one and still does at 2 years old. when she was born if we layed her on her back she would cry and cry and cry and be very tense. So we would put her on her tummy and she would snuggle in and sleep. I asked her Dr. and she said if we were comfortable doing that then thats okay. so we always layed her down on her tummy for sleeping. never fussed again. As long as there arent toys and excess blankets and wat have you, they should be just fine wihout being smothered. It was just fine for us and she still loves sleeping on her tummy!
    Anonymous

• I agree with PP, if you have spoken to your ped and both of you are ok with it then go for it. You might feel better if you invest in a monitor (for peace of mind). they have them now with videos and even motion detectors.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• my son has slept on his tummy since he was 4 weeks old, he has also slept thru the night since then as well.. and im not talking 5-6 hours, im talking 11-12 hours at a stretch... everyone is so much happier in this house... good luck, i would get rid of the wedge, let him sleep... my son also sleeps with a fan in his room for air circulation, and with the new sids study that came out, i knew that i was doing right...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:18 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• if he can lift his upper body I would say its fine. The thing about sids is in TRUE sids cases its actually an illness that causes baby to sleep too deeply not making the adjustments necessary if their oxygen supply is getting to low (ie turn head roll over etc) and there is really not much you can do to prevent that aside from the back sleeping but even then they can roll to the side by a bumper or something. If you are really worried yuo can give him a pacifier to suck on at bedtime and well as keep a fan blowing in his room (new studies show pacifiers and air circulation from a fan can greatly reduce the risk of infant death from sids) but honestly I think your fine
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I always say... do you REALLY want to take that risk? I know I never could. You will encounter many mommys on here that will say their children were fine, they slept on the tummy all the time. But what about the baby who does die, have you talked to that mommy?
    Try different methods of getting him to sleep. You could incline the the crib, like they do for a baby with reflux... put a pillow under the mattress. Or swaddle... my baby didn't like to be swaddled for awhile and now he needs it again to keep his active arms from waking him up.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:14 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• My daughter is four months old and will only sleep on her tummy, if I put her on her back she rolls over and even a sleep positioner cant hold her. My dr would rather her be on her stomach or side any ways because they say that is best for babies with acid reflux now so that they dont choke or drown in the spit up. My daughter gets monitered while she is sleeping because of some other problems she has but has never had a problem with the tummy sleeping, as long as your child is comfortable and healthy and sleeping through the night I believe your fine and just go with your instincts.
    aubreysmommy718

Answer by aubreysmommy718 at 11:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2008