Puberty?

What do you think is the best age to start talking about puberty?

At my kids school they showed them a video and such in the 5th grade just before the yr. is over. When my boys took it they were interested but being boys they just thought it was funny...you know how they can be...but they said they already knew alot from friends long before that.
Now my daughter is in 5th and will be watching it soon. She knows some things too but every time I bring up any puberty subject she is appalled and doesnt wanna talk about it. I think she needs to understand these things soon because I already see puberty signs showing up and all the women on her dads side developed early. What do you think?

Triscuit

Asked by Triscuit at 9:58 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have been talking to my 14 yr old son since he was 6. It should be an ongoing coverstation according to age and or development. 4 or 5 grade is too late. Some kids are already starting puberty and some girls already have their periods. You can't wait until the developmental stages hit, the talks need to be before they hit. The movies are funny though, they are cheesy and from the 70's. No kid will take those seriously. It is the parents job to make sure their kids have the accurate information otherwise, they will get the info from their friends in the halls of school and it will not be accurate. An example, my son was told in the halls of school that woman push babies out their buttholes. Yeah, not accurate. Talk to BOTH of your kids NOW.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:03 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I told my oldest this year, she is 9 almost 10 and in the 4th grade. Since there are a lot of kids starting so early I thought it was best for her know that way if it happened to her.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:03 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• There are so many books to help you out. They are age related. You can start to talk about these thing from their 7th years. Check out those books and read them with her or just give it to her to read. Maybe she is embarrassed and don't want to talk about it with you. Check out these: http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=puberty+books+for+girls&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 10:15 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• tell her anyway. It could be that she thinks she already knows what she needs to know from talking with her friends. Tell her that you guys are going to talk, and then bring up some of the falsehoods that are often told and ask her if she heard any of those rumors. Then tell her the truth.
    My 8 year old is going to be 9 in a couple of weeks, and she has already come to me asking questions about puberty (the women on her bio-mom's side developed really young, and even at 8 she's got breasts and having to wear bras) since her bio-mom refuses to answer any of her questions.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 11:46 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I started answering basic questions from the start.... 3? what are those things in your bathroom mommy (tampons), how do babies get out, how do babies get in, etc.

If she is in 5th grade and she hasnt been told about sex by you... im SURE she has been told by her friends. you better make sure she was told correctly... and you need to put your spin on it. If she is embarasssed too dang bad. It would have been nice to have a natural conversation but since it didnt happen that way you NEED to have a sit down
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I started talking to my kids when they were little in terms that they could understand. If she is in 5th grade and doesn't want to talk then I would let her lead the conversation. I would explain to her that you understand she probably already knows this, you just want to make sure she is getting the correct information. I know when my son was this age he would have questions and was to embarrassed to ask so he would write them on a piece a paper and I would answer by writing back.

You can also look up books, I got my DD the American Girl book but she is in 3rd grade.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Believe it or not I agree with all of you. I would have told her and my boys alot sooner but my hubby didnt think they were old enough, I think it should have been awhile ago also. Actually, I looked up the movie that they showed at school, its online...its much more modernized then the ones they showed us in school, lol. I know all about the books and resources, I just thought this was a good ? since I hadnt seen one about it yet. Thanks for all your great answers!!
    Triscuit

Comment by Triscuit (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• 12 years old is way to late. Some girls start their period at age 9 or 10, and they talk among themselves. There are great books about this now. One that my LO loved was by American Girl. I think it was called THE Care and Keeping Of You. She would read some, then we would talk about.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:46 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I agree, 12 years old is way to late!
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 8:52 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• i think twelve years old is the best because that is the last year before they really reach the teens and thats when there bodies really start to change. i went to books a million and got them a book
    mistik75

Answer by mistik75 at 12:38 PM on Dec. 20, 2010