Almost losing a child?

I just wanted to see if there was anyone else out there who has almost lost a child? Choking, Co-sleeping, drowning, anything? Ever give your own child CPR? I was looking for a support group... but I couldnt find one. Just ones for people who have lost a child.... Just wondering. Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I almost lost my son three times. Once was at birth because he was born and not breathing because of the umbilicord wrapped around his neck three times. Then at the age of 12 he suffered three brain hemorrhages and hydro syphilis then came down with Ulcerative Colitis and his weight went down to 30 lbs at the age of 20. It is difficult when you deal with your son/daughter being so ill! I feel like I have been through it all!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 12:41 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I have performed CPR on my niece and my God Daughter b/c they both aspirated from reflux and stopped breathing and one of them fell and hit her head and stopped breathing.I know that it can't compare to doing it to your own child but I hope that you can find some peace.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:37 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• my daughter not sure if this counts but at 12mos she hit her head and went inconscious. In my head she was dying she was just limp in my arms. She was ok thankgod...
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I have never had to perform CPR on my child, although this past August my healthy 8 year old had a seizure and ended up in a coma for 11 days. The doctors were not sure if she was ever going to wake up and if she did they couldn't tell us if she would be different. She was fine for 16 weeks after she woke up and then on Thanksgiving started having seizures again and was in and out of the hospital for 3 weeks. Now she seems to be doing okay, although we still don't know what is wrong with her. They think she has an autoimmune disorder that attacks her brain.

We are just hoping that the medications will keep her safe until they figure out what is wrong with her.

Good Luck because it is never easy thinking you might lose your child and watching them have to suffer!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:56 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I performed it on my grandson who was choking. I did ok and remained calm but my daughter was freaking out thinking he was dead

Answer by admckenzie at 2:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• i didn't have to do CPR but My daughter now 4 had surgery at 1 year of age for her cleft palate repair and ended up getting pneumonia from it and that caused a bad blood infection ,they sent her home not knowing she had the blood infection and she became lethargic, we couldn't wake her for anything so we called an ambulance ,she was rushed to the ER ,where her vitals were bp 169\99, heart rate was 200 and then some at times, I thought my poor baby was gonna have a heart attack and die , as soon as we got their nurses and DR's rushed in from everywhere putting cords here, poking her their, it was like something you would see on TV. I could do nothing but cry because they made me and DH stand outside due to the room being so little, the DR in PICU told us we were lucky had we went to bed we would have woken up and most likely found her dead, I never want a repeat of anything like that again.she spent 2 weeks in the hospital.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 2:56 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I haven't. That would be very scary. Glad everything turned out ok.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:15 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Nope, and I thank all the gods every day that I haven't.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 11:38 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I do think it's a little weird that you have co-sleeping listed with choking and drowning. Co-sleeping is actually safer than sleeping separately. http://www.mothering.com/parenting/cosleeping-is-twice-as-safe  I know that's a bit off topic, but wanted to make sure the misconception that co-sleeping was dangerous was addressed.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:22 AM on Dec. 20, 2010