Has anyone been positive for Group B Strep?

mauricellaf

Asked by mauricellaf at 10:33 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yeah with my 2nd I was
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 10:44 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• what did they do? just give you antibiotics?
    mauricellaf

Comment by mauricellaf (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• They give you antibiotics thru IV during labor.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:48 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I came up positive for it and they moved my csection date back??
    mauricellaf

Comment by mauricellaf (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I had it, but never knew until after my son was born, which kind of upset me. He had a slight fever and were testing him to see if he had it, which scared me to death when I started reading how bad it can be for babies. Luckily, he didn't have it and was perfectly healthy (they never found out why the slight fever). I had a c-section, so the risk of them contracting it is much lower, but still....I would have liked to have had the antibiotics for it!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:55 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• they wanted me to have 2 bags of antibiotics while in labor, but she came in an hour and I didnt even finish 1 bag, so they made me and my daughter stay a full 48 hours after birth to make sure she was healthy.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 10:57 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I was positive with all 3 but only had time for antibiotics with the first 2, you should have it at least an hour before birth. With our 3rd it was too fast, but he was fine. Talk to your OB about it, they will know what's best for you. You're going to get a bunch of different experiences here, and yours won't be the same.... Trust me, they never are!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:58 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I had it with my second and although they gave me the IV they did not turn it on so he got no antibiotics- he was sick and spent 10 days in NICU. It sounds like your doctors are on it, just make sure you are very vocal during labor and really emphasize that you need the antibiotics. Everything turned out fine for us, but it was traumatic when it was going on- hindsight is 20/20- I would not have just assumed everyone was doing their job- I would have asked more questions.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:29 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I unfortunately had it with both of my children.
    CassySchenk

Answer by CassySchenk at 11:55 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Yes I did. That's why they induce me - they thought my water had broken, and appparently the amniotic sac was the last barrier b/t me with my strep b and my child. So they wanted to get me on the IV antibiotics and get him outta there.

That might be why they moved your date back - I don't know why you were scheduled for the C-sectiono in the first place, but maybe they moved it back simply b/c the strep B added one more reason to avoid having you go into labor naturally (ie having your water break)?

Good luck to you. I wouldn't stress the strep B too much - it sounds like the docs are doing everything they can to protect your baby from it. My understanding was that even w/o the IV antibiotics it isn't a given that the baby will get it, so I would think if they put you on the IV antibiotics like they usually do, there won't be much to worry about.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:28 PM on Dec. 19, 2010