Do I really need to pump and dump if I take anitdepressants for post partum?

Just started Zoloft, more like for the divorce I am going through but pinned as postpartum. Anyway I was told after u take one, at the 7 hour mark u should pump and dump. Can we just feed around this time and skip the pumping? my supply is already so low from the stress not sure what other nursing moms do with this situation. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would.
    Rockyschick

Answer by Rockyschick at 9:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• No No No! Don't pump and dump! from http://www.mothering.com/articles/new_baby/breastfeeding/medications-breastfeeding.html
    "The use of Zoloft, on the other hand, has been reported in more than 30 breastfed infants, and appears to transfer poorly to the infant and with no reported effects.Thus far plasma levels in most infants have been close to or below the limit of detection, with no reports of untoward effects in the infant. At this time, Zoloft is probably the SSRI of choice for nursing mothers. Several reports of Paxil use suggest that its levels in breastmilk are exceedingly low, and the amount transferred to the infant would be minimal."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• kellymom.com has a wondeful resource of BF info. I have learned (during the last almost 2 yrs of BF'ing my youngest) alot from that site. I have had several health issues since the birth of my youngest, and have been able to sidestep ever having to even avoid BF'ing at anytime because of med's. If you have a knowledgable Dr, they will know that there is actually a very limited risk with MANY medictaions. GOOD LUCK!
    ColormeGarnet

Answer by ColormeGarnet at 9:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I used Celexa, a related drug, and fed twins and a singleton! No need to pump and dump, but you can have them blood test the baby if you notice weird behavior.
    rainbowlight

Answer by rainbowlight at 9:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• It is not currently recommended that you pump and dump while on Zoloft.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 9:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• No need to pump and dump! Check with your doctor, but a lot of anti-depressants can be taken while nursing. Kellymom.com and safefetus.com have some quick info until you check with your doctor.
    karenschieltz

Answer by karenschieltz at 11:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I'm on zolof and have been nursing my daughter for the last 6 1/2 months and things are fine. I think the dose has to be well over 350mg before it's not safe for the baby. The dr prescribing this to you should have taken into account that you are breastfeeding and given you the proper info. But you are good to go with feeding.
    Don't forget to ask for help and take all you can when it's offered. Keep healthy and good luck!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2008