How can I get my kitten to stay off the counter?

We have a kitten staying with us right now... she's the last of a litter that got left here (we live in the country and this seems to happen often- this is the third litter I've had to catch) so I'm taking care of her until we can find her a permanent home. She's really sweet, but I can NOT keep her off the counters lol. Any tips?

-LucyInTheSky-

Asked by -LucyInTheSky- at 11:04 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Pets

• Spray the counter with Pam

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:06 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Get a spray bottle. Fill it with water. Keep it near the counter. When the kitten jumps on the counter spray her.
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 11:08 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• That should be a big kitty than if she can jump on the counter:) You can put tiger wee on it:P It would keep the kitty out of that area:P Any other thing you can do: close the door, put her down and look at her with mad eyes. Say: sssssssssssshhhhhhh... The don't like this noise it means fight. I don't really know what to say:) A cat will find their way anyway:P

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 11:10 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• we put masking tape, sticky side up, on the counter in rows when our friggen 14 y/o male cat started to get on the counter. and he gets them on his paws and will freak out, but it doesnt hurt him and he stays off the counters now
    Sarah5708Emma

Answer by Sarah5708Emma at 11:12 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• She is HUGE!! She's only three months old... her eyes were barely open when her and her littermates and momma got left here. She's also the most feisty one out of the litter I think. The day I finally caught her, we got home from the vets and I guess she got upset when my big dog sniffed her. I heard a howl, and went running into the kitchen- kitty cat was clinging to the cabinet doors above the stove LOL. Poor thing got stuck. She actually looks a lot like a Maine coon, but I know she's not or at least not a purebred b/c her mother was a tiny little short-haired gray cat. Sula though, is huge already and has long hair.
    -LucyInTheSky-

Comment by -LucyInTheSky- (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Squirt bottle. Cats hate water so everytime u see him on the counter. spray him! I am called the CAT LADY and owned as many as 12 house cats at a time. And I can say that they were/are well behaved kitties. All because of that famous spray bottle. Shoot now I just show it to them and they run lol. Good luck
    bnnsweet

Answer by bnnsweet at 11:13 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• cats really like chip bags or the sound of them .because she's a female they also like to lick plastic bags from the grocery store put them on the floor when your about to get on the computer she might just be to busy playin to bug you
    onaugh

Answer by onaugh at 11:15 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I trained my dog to chase the cat, when she was scratching the furniture and getting on the counters. Hence the cat learned very quickly not to do either.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• GET A WATER BOTTLE AND SQUIRT HER EVERYTIME SHE JUMPS ON THE COUNTER AND ALSO TELL HER NO. THEY DO UNDERSTAND I HAVE 3 CATS AND IT WORKED WITH THEM
    19angie74

Answer by 19angie74 at 3:06 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• spray bottle with normal tap water. works great but you have to keep on her and spray her everytime she gets on the counter otherwise the point that you're trying to make to her is moot.
    Kitten19

Answer by Kitten19 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 21, 2010