My dog had 9 puppies Thurs./Fri. We found one dead. We kept her in the house in a back bedroom with blankets and plenty of food and water. No people or other animals were around and the only time we handled them was to move them to the bedroom. She had one puppy before and had no problems. I woke up Sunday morning and she had killed the other 8. What happened? Was it my fault and, if so, how?

happybooker98

Asked by happybooker98 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Pets

• Could she get out of the room?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:23 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Oh wow, that is heartbreaking. I'm not sure you did anything wrong, unfortunately sometimes animals behave in ways that we cannot comprehend. Maybe someone else has a better answer for you, so sorry:(

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 11:25 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• It wasn't your fault...animals are instinctive, maybe she felt she couldn't take care of them and that is why she killed them. Don't beat yourself up. There is nothing you can do about something like this.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 11:27 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Maybe she felt they were in danger? We had a hamster that ate all her babies. Very strange.
    Can you get this dog fixed to prevent future horrors like that ?
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:27 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• http://www.ehow.com/facts_6815874_do-female-dogs-kill-puppies_.html
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Yes, she could get out. The door was left open and she left them periodically to go outside and go to the bathroom. The vet told me Friday that, after she quit nursing, to wait two weeks to get her fixed. In two weeks, we are getting her fixed. I'll never go through this again.
    happybooker98

Comment by happybooker98 (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• – collapse
    I myself would get rid of that dog. What a crazy. Im sorry you had to deal with that :(
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 11:33 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• I'm so sorry to hear about this. You didn't do anything wrong so please try & stop blaming yourself. Mother animals just do some of the strangest things at times. But it wasn't your fault.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• As another poster said, animals are instinctive. Maybe there was something wrong with the puppies that you didn't know about but the mother did. If there is something wrong with a baby in the wild, the mother will kill it. Although our pets are domesticated, their wild insticts are still within them. Don't blame yourself. You did nothing wrong.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:39 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• One thing I forgot to mention, because I just found them about 45 minutes ago. Right after she went through heat, she got hit by a car. She didn't break any bones, but she was injured internally and we had to nurse her and keep her in the house for two weeks until she healed. She could hardly move and we thought that, if she had conceived, she might have miscarried. The puppies looked fine. I don't know if they were damaged or not.
    happybooker98

Comment by happybooker98 (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Dec. 19, 2010