my 10 year old peed on his floor just to do it/

My 10 year old son got up and peed between his bed and his nightstand. We smelled it and he tried to balme the dogs or cats which have not been in his room. When asked at first he lied and then when we came home and my husband had his carpet pulled up he finally told the truth. Right now he is the one cleaning the carpet,pad and floor. What else should be done for him not getting up when the bathroom is right around the corner of his room? We are totally shocked at his behavior and lying about it.

suzannelisk

Asked by suzannelisk at 11:24 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Was he sleepwalking? Huh, I'd think having to clean it up himself will probably be punishment enough.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:26 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I would have to make him clean it and then more punishment.....there is no call for that behavior.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 11:30 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Talk it over with him calmly and get to the bottom of it. He could have been sleep walking as mentioned earlier.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:32 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Starting to wee in the bed shows something big has happened. Older kids don't start to wee in their bed without reason. It is so embarrassing for them. Have you noticed any behaviour change lately? I would talk to him and if the weeing around continues take him to a counsellor who can help. Weeing in the bed can show that someone abuse, bully or molest him. Try to find out what has happened. But maybe he won't tell to you.

But if you are sure that the weeing around is only because he is lazy than the cleaning up and ground him from something he likes. I don't know too much about the situation. IF you want to talk about it more than send me an email on CM:)

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 11:34 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• So the main thing he did that he should learn from is laziness does not payoff in the end. That and especially the lying. I would find a punishment that addresses that. Not only should he clean it up. But maybe u or ur husband should wake him up several times at night and make sure he gets up and go to the bathroom. You know like u do when they're little and ur potty training them. And for lying maybe make him write a paper about why what he did was wrong. I like to make my kids do that because it helps them see why I'm upset. Plus they get a writing lesson from it. And the kids are on school break so it doesn't interfere with any daily homework.
    True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My sister peed in her shoe in the closet one time thinking it was the bathroom. I don't think he should be punished. he was probably half asleep thinking he was in the bathroom. It's not laziness, it's that he was sleepwalking

Answer by admckenzie at 11:50 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Yeah it sounds like he could have been half asleep and thought he was in the bathroom and then to embarrassed to admit it. Just talk to him and let him know accidents happen but if they do happen they need to be cleaned up before it ruins the carpet.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 11:55 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Wow. And I agree with what you are doing to have him clean it up. Asking him why may be a wasted effort. Most pre teens can't tell you why. They don't really know the reason in many cases like this. Stay calm and be a team. If this were me I would calmly explain my concerns, the expence involved, and what may happen. For me.....the very first call I am making is to a play therapist and then to his doctor. I don't mess around. If the behavior occured even once more he looses the door to the room. This is actually a real mental health diagnosis called enuresis. It can be due to medical reasons or an unresolved emotional issue that is nagging at him. It happens...even in very healthy intact families. It is not a reflection of poor parenting. But I would call his doctor to privately discuss with the nurse so you can either make an appointment or get some feedback.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:19 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I have known kids to do this and it doesn't mean there is a BIG issue. Sure, sometimes there are serious issues (no point in naming....too many to name and no point in scaring the shit out of you), but also it can be something equally minor. Your best bet: play therapist and his doctor. Stress, embarassment, guilt, or shame can make it worse. So how you go about this has to be carefully thought out. Many parents stop the urination issue only to have a more frustrating and icky other behavior to manifest. Best wishes. You are on the right track.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Get the book Magic 1,2,3 and take him to see a councilor
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:38 PM on Dec. 19, 2010