O.k here it goe's Am i wrong for wanting my 23 year old to move out and get his own place because we argue a lot in front of my other 3 kids?

neicy68

Asked by neicy68 at 12:00 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• 23 is way too old to be mooching off mommy and daddy
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• UM? ... Does he/she pay rent? Are they going to school full time? If you said No, to those questions its time for you to have your child grown up!!!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• 23 years old is plenty old enough to move out. You don't want him there when he's 30.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Um...he's 23 years old and fully adult...time to move on and move out!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:47 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Why on earth would a 23yo WANT to live at home? My 19yo still has to live with us on college breaks buthe loves being away at college and being independent. My 20, 23 and 24yos all love being on their own. They visit but they couldn't ever live here, have rules and not have their own space.
    Anonymous

• He needs to--get a job.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 11:00 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• He needs to--get a job. Once he's on his own, he'll probably think, why didn't I move out sooner?
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 11:01 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• ok, I'm going to give a flip side to this.
    there's nothing saying that he doesn't have a job- times are hard for anyone.

Even if he doesn't have a job, I question the mooching comment.
    I lived at home until I was 26 and it certainly was not a case of my mooching off of anybody! my mother coudn't handle my baby brother who was a teen at the time, really only listened to me.
    I did all the laundry, most of the dishes and more housework then my mother did.
    I'm the one that got my brother to do homework. I could go on and on.

when I moved out my mother didn't know what do about much of anything since she'd come to rely on my so much.

there's two sides to all of it,
    I'd like to know what the fights are about.
    Maybe there just needs to be more clear cut boundaries and such,
    does he pay rent to contribute in a valuable way?
    you may be in the same position as my mother when me moves out, and wish tha
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:09 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Unless he is in college and even then he is way too old to be living at home. This is probably why they are arguing. He needs to move out and act like an adult.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 5:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• i have three kids at home 31yr,21yr 17yr i make a point that each kid does work around the house and work out side the home
    this what makes a family work .but if you and your son not working to be family and yelling and screaming at each other it is time to move on ,good talking for both sides you need find out what he wants out of life and go for it .and if moves out great and if stays home there are rules he must follow because you are the parent what you say goes no matter what .and mom you have to pick your fights if leaves his clothes on the floor they stay till he moves them ,you no longer cook for him he can do that himself .and he can not sleep all day and stay up all night no friends over til behaves better ,most of all he must give respect because there are other kids in the house that watching and learning from him ,no drinking and doing drugs are aloud plus no sleep overs with girl friends they have their own bed
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:07 AM on Dec. 21, 2010