Will the repeal of DADT lead to other policy changes pertaining to gay rights?

While critics, including Arizona GOP Sen. John McCain, said the repeal would cause a deadly distraction on the battlefield at a time of war, the lawmakers backing repeal equated the vote to other historic moments including the end of racial segregation among troops in the 1950s and the decision to allow women to attend military service academies in the 1970s.

"It is time to close this chapter in our history," President Obama said in a statement hailing the vote's passage. "It is time to recognize that sacrifice, valor and integrity are no more defined by sexual orientation than they are by race or gender, religion or creed."

Yet the repeal is far more than just a single policy shift. The overturning of "don't ask, don't tell" is likely to create a ripple effect in addressing other gay-rights issues, as many states continue to debate issues including same-sex marriage and the right of gay partners to share benefits the same way legally married couples do. With gay service members serving openly, it will become difficult for policy makers to justify, say, withholding visitation rights or survivor benefits to the same-sex spouse of a wounded or fallen soldier.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:06 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Hopefully it will force a full overhaul of the military code to remove outdated aspects of it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I hope so.

Answer by older at 12:16 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I think so. (and I was right about the repeal being passed.) Do you know, this is one of the bonuses of banging these topics out day after day after day ad nauseum.

Minds do get changed.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:16 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I hope so!
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:19 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I hope so!! It's a good start.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• WELL, ISN'T THAT WHAT IT'S SUPPOSED TO DO?

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I hope so!!
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 12:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I think it will!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:29 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Obviously things will have to change. DADT was not the primary restriction against homosexuality in the military. Actually the primary restriction is with the anti-sodomy laws contained in the Uniform Code of Military Justice. These anti-sodomy laws apply to heterosexuals just as much as homosexuals. While in Basic Training, we were told that even if we were in the privacy of our own homes, with our spouses, if we were caught having say - oral sex - that we could be charged under the UCMJ. The UCMJ have laws against adultery too.

But I really wonder about how they are going to deal with things like living arrangements, showers and so forth. When women were finally allowed to join the military, they got separate showers, living quarters, bathrooms, etc. This was done because of the sexual tension between men and women. Women wanted to serve, but didn't want to feel like objects of sexual desire. And while not ALL men ....
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 3:06 PM on Dec. 19, 2010