Any Advice

I am having a very hard time trying to get my three year old to behave and listen to me. It seems like no matter what I do it doesnt work. Now she is teaching my 1 yr. old bad things.

CassySchenk

Asked by CassySchenk at 12:16 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Go to the library and check out some books on discipline techniques for that age group. Your question is so broad that it's almost impossible to answer without any details of specific situations that are troubling you. In general, I can tell you what has worked best with my children is firmness and consistency. Good luck.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:26 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Sorry hon, but your child is at an age where he wants to assert himself, he is learning that he has control over his actions and is developing more of his personality. We do corner/timeouts and that seems to work with my twins (who are 3), another thing we do is get down to eye level and speak in a calm voice what we want from them, also asking will help... like if you want him to pick up his toys, get down on your knees so that you are eye level and say "Can you please pick up your toys for mommy and put them in your toy box?" when the task is done, reward him with praise (not treats, they will come to expect that every time). Most kids throughly enjoy making mommy/daddy happy.
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 2:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Each of them has a "currency" which is THE most important thing to them. We used to take that away for an appropriate length of time as punishment. It won't necessarily be a toy. My youngest used to LOVE watching the trash truck. So, occasionally we would say he would not be allowed to watch it. Zero in on what makes her tick. Be Consistent!! Don't threaten something unless you really will do it. Like saying "you will never watch TV again". That is unrealistic and not something you can follow through on.

Make sure she is getting enough one on one time with you and your SO. Sometimes kids go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention. Plus give praise when she does things right.

Make sure she has a clear understanding of whatever you ask of her. You might need to work with her on certain things like picking up toys. Do it together until she knows exactly what is expected. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• good luck mama........i just got my 4 year old to start behaving again....yes i said again....he goes through spurts,one day he is fine the next he is spawn of satan......then hes good for months at a time,and all of a sudden he is like a totally different child like ive never seen before......so strange.....just try to figure out a happy medium with the disipline....what works for one doesnt work for all
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 12:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• my son is goin through the behavior problem and not listening too
    honesty33

Answer by honesty33 at 5:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2010