What can I use in place of liqueur in a recipe??

I'm making a "chocolate cavity maker" cake today, which calls for coffee-flavored liqueur. I cannot for the life of me find any liqueur in stores around here -- and liquor stores are closed today. People on the website where I found the recipe have used many other flavors of liqueur in this recipe, but what can I use aside from liqueur and still have it turn out okay?

I am a NOVICE, NOVICE baker -- in fact, this will be my first attempt, I'm embarrassed to say. So I don't know what part this ingredient may play in making the cake what it's supposed to taste like. I'm so nervous, because I'm making this for people who are going to give me their honest opinion of my first baking attempt.

In case it helps you answer the question, below is the full recipe...

Ingredients

* 1 (18.25 ounce) package dark chocolate cake mix
* 1 (3.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
* 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
* 3 eggs
* 1/3 cup vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup coffee flavored liqueur
* 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, eggs, oil and coffee liqueur. Beat until ingredients are well blended. Fold in chocolate chips. Batter will be thick. Spoon into prepared pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until cake springs back when lightly tapped. Cool 10 minutes in pan, then turn out and cool completely on wire rack.

Jill97

Asked by Jill97 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I usually google things like that
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 12:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Why dont use want to use liqueur? You do know that the liqueur evaporates while cooking right?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• To replace 2 tablespoons of liqueur, use 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of chocolate extract mixed with 1 teaspoon of instant coffee, which has been mixed in 2 tablespoons of water. Can also substitute expresso, non-alcoholic coffee extract or coffee syrup. LINK

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• 16 tbs in a cup so you would need 8 tbs to replace the 1/2 cup.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:52 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Someone asked why I don't want to use the liqueur -- I couldn't find it yesterday at Target, the baby was fussy so we had to come home, liquor stores are closed today, and the grocery stores around here don't carry it!
    Jill97

Comment by Jill97 (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• It's not going to taste right or have the correct texture without it. If you have vodka in the house, or even rum, I'd do 1/4C of spirits and 1/4C of brewed coffee. I'm not sure I'd bake it without the liqueur just based on the amount they are asking for. If you do bake it, could you let us know what you did and how it turned out?
    Good Luck! May it be Yummy!
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 1:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• brewed or instant coffee- also some vanilla extract.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• so with this recipe calling for 1/2 cup coffee flavored liqueur, how much brewed coffee would you use, and how much vanilla extract?
    Jill97

Comment by Jill97 (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Ahh Not sure. Did you try & google it?
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:32 AM on Dec. 20, 2010