I'm making a "chocolate cavity maker" cake today, which calls for coffee-flavored liqueur. I cannot for the life of me find any liqueur in stores around here -- and liquor stores are closed today. People on the website where I found the recipe have used many other flavors of liqueur in this recipe, but what can I use aside from liqueur and still have it turn out okay?
I am a NOVICE, NOVICE baker -- in fact, this will be my first attempt, I'm embarrassed to say. So I don't know what part this ingredient may play in making the cake what it's supposed to taste like. I'm so nervous, because I'm making this for people who are going to give me their honest opinion of my first baking attempt.
In case it helps you answer the question, below is the full recipe...
* 1 (18.25 ounce) package dark chocolate cake mix
* 1 (3.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
* 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
* 3 eggs
* 1/3 cup vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup coffee flavored liqueur
* 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, eggs, oil and coffee liqueur. Beat until ingredients are well blended. Fold in chocolate chips. Batter will be thick. Spoon into prepared pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until cake springs back when lightly tapped. Cool 10 minutes in pan, then turn out and cool completely on wire rack.
Answer by Dayija at 12:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2010
Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2010
To replace 2 tablespoons of liqueur, use 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of chocolate extract mixed with 1 teaspoon of instant coffee, which has been mixed in 2 tablespoons of water. Can also substitute expresso, non-alcoholic coffee extract or coffee syrup. LINK
Answer by But_Mommie at 12:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2010
Answer by But_Mommie at 12:52 PM on Dec. 19, 2010
Answer by isabellalecour at 1:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2010
Answer by chefjen at 1:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2010
Answer by sstepph at 8:32 AM on Dec. 20, 2010