Hypothetically if...

your child were to come home one day and say they had decided to no longer believe in (insert your faith here) but instead chose to follow (insert total opposite faith here) How would you react if your child was age, say 7, what about 14, what about 20. Does you reaction change with age or become more or less accepting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Religious Debate

• At 7-my responsibility to educate my child spirirtually and spiritual food is highly important
    At14-I expect some rebellion, maybe a compromise, but still my responsibility
    At 20-They are an adult
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 4:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• 7? I would think someone was couching them what to say or they wanted to be like their friends. Older I wouldn't care. I would be happy my kids found a faith they feel they belong too. I'm an Atheist but I'm open to my kids being it what ever religion they choose to be
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:11 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My sons are welcome to find their own beliefs and have always if it changes for them okay.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I'm not sure at 7 they would totally understand and may just be going along with what their friends are doing, but there ARE very intelligent 7 year olds. I know of two in our family.

Older child, I would ask them questions to find out why but I would tell them as long as they are sure, they can have whatever belief gives them comfort in their heart, mind and soul.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My son is free to follow whatever he chooses. He is not being raised in a faith because it should be HIS choice, not ours.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:34 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• It wouldn't bother me at any age. We expose them to different faiths and religions because my childhood was forced into believing something and when I didn't I was kicked out of the house. I am happy with anything that my children decide to do.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:37 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My children were raised in the church, but they have always been free to choose their own paths. What did they ALL do? They all chose to get saved, and baptized, as they were old enough to make their own decisions, we did not pressure them (prayed for them yes, pressured them, no). Am I thrilled they have all accepted Jesus as their Savior,and I know I will see them in Heaven? You better believe it! I know we did something right in bringing them up, and I have the joy of knowing I will spend eternity, not only with my Lord and Savior, and my Heavenly Father and Creator, but also the children God blessed me with. Can't ask for more than that.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 2:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• The younger they were, the more I would discuss what had changed their mind, their beliefs. As they get older, they have more information, knowledge, to make their own decisions.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 2:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Hmm.... well if they were young, like 7 or 8, I'd probably assume that maybe someone had said something to them. If they were older... I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be disappointed. I've put a lot of thought and research into my faith and chose it because I believe it is the right path- maybe not the only path, but the best path I suppose is a better way to phrase that. However, just because that's how I see it, doesn't mean that our children would see it the same way. I would support them in whatever path they feel is best for them. I'd be disappointed no doubt, but I'd keep that to myself. What's right for me probably isn't right for everyone.
    -LucyInTheSky-

Answer by -LucyInTheSky- at 3:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Both DH and I are Wiccan and if DS came home and told either of us that he wanted to go to a Christian church we would take him to the service. As long as he finds what is right for him then I am ok with that. Not one religion is right for everyone. So my religion might not be right for my son. I might be a little dissapointed but I would still support him....even get him a bible if thats what he wanted.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:46 PM on Dec. 19, 2010