How can I get my 4 month old to sleep through the night?

Please any advice is welcome. She wakes up several times and will not go back to sleep on her own. She often stays up for at least an hour before being rocked back to sleep. I am exhausted and willing to try anything!

veganmum

Asked by veganmum at 1:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try pulling her into bed. Co-sleeping is often the answer. Even if you just do it to get her back to sleep and then transfer back to her bed. When you lie in your own bed - even if you don't sleep with her there - you will at least be more rested than you will sitting in a chair or walking around the house.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:23 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Have you tried giving her cereal and a bottle before bed?
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 1:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• She won't eat cereal from a spoon yet and I heard that putting it in the bottle is a choking hazard.
    veganmum

Comment by veganmum (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• lol if u figure it out let me know! my 10 month old doesnt sleep all night yet!! they will learn to sleep all night on their own when they r ready! could b a growth spurt! at that age u really cant expect them to sleep all night! they need to be feed and held, diaper change! its normal! good luck tho! i know its hard its just part of being a mom! :-)
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard and will not make a baby sleep. You can't make a baby do anything.

We cosleep and I nurse and that has made sleep a lot easier. But children wake in the night. It's normal. Adults wake in the night too.

I know you are tired. Try hard to make time for a nap for yourself while your baby is napping. Tell the laundry and dishes to find someone else!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• She's only 4 months old. There's not much you can do yet. I know it's exhausting, but it's part of being a new mom. She'll start sleeping through the night eventually.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• my ped said it can be as soon as 6months but as long as a year. so it just happens when it happens. the first time it happened with my dd it scared me because i was so exhausted. so don't worry about it. i do cosleep when she does it now and put her in her crib once she falls asleep but she is 21months so she has been sleeping on her own for awhile. but like the other posters said. its just normal at this stage. it will eventually pass. just hang in there.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 1:51 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• There's really not a whole lot you can do at this point. Just make sure you have a solid bedtime routine and also that the baby is getting enough sleep during the day. Sleep begets sleep so an overtired baby isn't going to sleep well. All babies are different so it's hard to give advice on this. My son started sleeping through the night at 11 weeks and never reverted back to night wakings until the nightmares started around age 2. Teething, illness, milestones didn't bother his sleep at all. Now my 10 month old still wakes up at least once a night to nurse. She slept all night consistently at 4 weeks old and reverted back to night wakings around 4.5 months and hasn't gone back.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 2:17 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I guess I will just have to tough it out then.
    veganmum

Comment by veganmum (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• co sleep maybe?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 2:23 PM on Dec. 19, 2010