How young is too young to have a cell phone.

My daughter is turning 10. She is active in sports and has after school activities. I am a single mom and worrying. Is 10 too young. I can set it up to only be on after school hours. Please don't bash. Just trying to make a good decision.

oliviahank

Asked by oliviahank at 1:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• under high school age is to young in my opinion
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Too young, certainly too young if it's available for use during anything other than those after school hours you're thinking about. My son has a cell phone, he is 17 and pays for it himself. My daughter, age 11, does not. She too is involved in many after school activities, but doesn't need a cell.
    findingharmony

Answer by findingharmony at 1:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• That is too young. But there is or use to be be a firely phone children and it can only call out 3 numbers and I think one being 911.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 1:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• if you're worried about you kid and want them to call you to check in, maybe buy them a calling card. there's plenty of payphones.
    cheribabii613

Answer by cheribabii613 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• i do not think it is too young.. for several reasons.. your child doesnt have to have access to use it at all times.. but can if she needs you.. my daughter is 3 and i want to get one for her very soon.. for the fact that if she EVER needs me and needs to get in touch with me, she will be able to. there are alot of reasons behind me wanting her to have one.. it will not be a full-on cell phone but will be one with the numbers programed in and one of the kids cells.. no scrolling through anything but have the big buttons and access to us at all times
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My sister got her sons the firefly phone when they were about 8 and were able to stay at friends houses or go down the street to the park. That way she could check up on them and if they needed her they could call her. The only numbers their phones would call out or accept were her and their dads number and 911. they worked out fine for her and gave them a little bit of breathing room for the boys to grow. but it is a personal choice that everyone has to make. My oldest nephew is now 12 and does chores at my house to earn money to help pay his phone bill now and he likes that he has that choice.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• If she is responsible enough to use it only when she needs to get in contact with your or whoever gives her a lift to her activities. 10 can be mature or very young.

One of the things I most dislike about cell phones, especially with elementary kids is that you see a couple of kids walking together, on their cells, ignoring each other for someone "more important." How about interacting with the live person next to you? yes, s/he might be checking in with the parent, but the bulk of kids at this school are not, they are using the phone because they can.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:55 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• my nieces both got cell phones at 10 and my husbands younger sisters got cell phones at 10
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• If they can't pay for it, they don't get it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:52 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I got them for my 3 at age 15. They were involved in sports and scouts, etc., too but we still didn't see the need before then.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 2:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2010