meat thermometer didn't pop but turkey breast in slow cooker for over 10 hours.

6 lb turkey breast with bone just wouldn't pop. Finally, I took out to cool and cut and meat is slightly pink inside. It is a fresh turkey and I cooked on high in slow cooker 12 hours! Just a little worried.

newtocooking

Asked by newtocooking at 2:13 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• It's fine, turkey breast (and chicken breast, for that matter) has a bad habit of staying a little pinkish - and I've noticed that the longer I keep it in the crock pot the pinker it gets, even when it's done. 12 hours is way more than enough time, unless you only had it on the "keep warm" setting ;). Even on low it should be done. That's why it's a good idea to have a meat thermometer, I believe turkey breast is supposed to be 165 degrees and it's done - even if it only takes 2 hours to get that hot.
    Anonymous

• Maybe it really wasn't done? I'm always paranoid about meat being done so I'm sure everything I make is just dry as a bone, haha!
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• It should have been done a looooong time before that. We cooked a full 10lb turkey with stuffing in our slow cooker for Thanksgiving. I stuck it in the night before on low and in the morning it was fully done and just fell off the bone.
    Every turkey I've ever cooked in the slow cooker just fell off the bone after 10 hours on low no matter how big it was.
    I think there might be something wrong with your slow cooker. It should be more than done and there would be no way to just take it out and slice it. It would completely fall apart after 12 hours (but should be so juicy and tender).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Did you not defrost the turkey prior to putting it in the oven?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Thanks for your help. It wasn't frozen and it was on high for 5 hours. The meat looks cooked just pink so I'm probably ok and won't kill my family tonight! I'll reheat it thoroughly! By the way, the stuffing is fabulous :D
    newtocooking

Comment by newtocooking (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I put the stuffing in bottom of crockpot and put the turkey breast on top. Not sure if that was a reason it took so long.
    newtocooking

Comment by newtocooking (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Wow, not sure. Im weird about meat being done
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:29 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Cook it longer. It should pop on its own when it finally gets done.
    gatorswife

Answer by gatorswife at 1:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2010