no money for xmas

im a widow and have NO MONEY for xmas. theres 3 grandsons to buy for also i have a special needs son who even though hes 31 and functions just find he wont understand if theres no gift uder the tree. my 20 year old daughter is expecting in early january and had to quit her part time job. she only worked three days a week at mcds and sometimes they never let her work her full shift. so she has no money . The fathers are busy else where . i live in ca where everything is expensive. we lost our apartment and temp. staying with my daughter who is older. theres 8 of us in a 2 br. i need help with xmas ideas , helping her getting settled . i leel like im going crazy . i need a mountain top somewhere.

stressedoutgran

Asked by stressedoutgran at 2:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• try a food bank, a local business or even a school cause they always have a adopt a family for the holidays. or If can not find then just little dollar stuff like coloring books, cups, bubble bath, paper and a special pen. That type of kind.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• doller stuff for the little ones, can you knit or crochet? baby blankets would be nice for your daughter, homemade stuff is always nice, you could make up a bunch of cookies and give every family a plate.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Perhaps you need to prioritize. I was reading a previous question of yours about throwing a baby shower for your daughter. Perhaps that money should go to Christmas! In the financial position you are in it doesn't sound like you need to be hosting anything. Perhaps talk to her friends about hosting the shower and you focus your money on Xmas.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:28 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• At times like this material gifts are not important. Show her your appreciation by doing something nice around the house. Take the kids out so she can relax.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• You're not alone. It's tough, isn't it? It's really something - and can feel impossible at times. Help getting her settled? Think basics and organization. The dollar store can be a good place to stock up cleaning supplies, dish towels, and other items for the kitchen. The grocery store might seem a funny place to Christmas shop, but a well-stocked kitchen can make her life easier for months to come.
    Doing it on a budget sure isn't fun, but if you embrace the challenge, shop the sales, and realize that every little bit helps, it can be a good time! Widowhood sure isn't for the meek, is it? LOL!
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 2:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• contact toys for tots (703) 649-2054
    contact a church near you. Take your family to see a christmas play and teach them the meaning of christmas. They have midnight masses in some churches with candle light vigils and caroling.
    If you are not religious you could also contact the salvation army and ask them for help. They offer a christmas charity for people in a rough patch.
    http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/www_usn_2.nsf/vw-text-dynamic-arrays/4A2D2520606517C4802573F5005661DB?openDocument
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 2:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I was reading a previous question of yours about throwing a baby shower for your daughter.

This was posted in the begining of Novemeber. The baby shower has already passed.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 2:36 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• i didnt host the shower her friend did. all i did was buy the chips, soda , and drinks. but your right in some respects. in some way ive been in a funk since my husband died. he was the only one working. i was a sahm for 31 years. now its just me. im way too young for surivors benifits since im only 56, you have to be 60. been trying to find a job buts its rough out there .but i keep trying.
    stressedoutgran

Comment by stressedoutgran (original poster) at 2:41 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• As a widow who is fighting just to keep my home, keep the heat on, and keep food on the table, I understand the issues that come with widowhood. It is rough. I prefer to focus on the positive. There's really no money for Christmas here either, at least no money for what most Americans consider "Christmas". But we'll have a nice Christmas, we always find a way, and I am grateful for what I do have.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:57 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• so am i it just feels like i get beatup emotionally everyday. my grandkids are 10,5 and three. their parents went out and spent 2000.00 dollars on two computer piecies. the two older kids parnets did. the three year old is my youngest daughters child. i asked my older daughter what to get my 10 and 5 year old she said apple store gift cards or gift cards to stores like game stop. i cant afford that. they will just what what they get. maybe one spots at target.
    stressedoutgran

Comment by stressedoutgran (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Dec. 19, 2010