My 7 mo old loves the tv...is it ok to let him watch kids shows(He loves Rugrats, Handy Manny) ?

LogansMamma0511

Asked by LogansMamma0511 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yeah....why wouldn't it be?
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• The American Academy of Pediactrics recomends that children under two watch no tv at all.

mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My girls love cartoons and some of them are good learning ones like team umzoomi. They are okay for kids to watch and I see nothing wrong with a little tv.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Did they say why mommytoJames?
    LogansMamma0511

Comment by LogansMamma0511 (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Yea we love watching Little Einsteins!
    LogansMamma0511

• Just limit the time he sits in front of a tv. There are other things to stimulate him like listening to your voice or going outside or playing with toys. I don't turn a tv on when my grandkids are here and it drives them nuts. They have been sitting in front of a tv for so long letting their brains go to mush that they can't think for themselves. I make them think and talk and actually do things with me but since your child is so young I'm sure it's ok. Just don't let him get too close. I worry about electromagnetic fields and how it can affect small children's health

Answer by admckenzie at 2:35 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• They say that because it takes time away from things that are proven to help brain growth.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with T.V. in moderation. I have what I call rest and relaxation time after lunch where the kids I watch make pallets in the living room and watch one movie after lunch. That is the time I do my clean up from all the morning activities and the little ones can nap if they want to (most of the time they are out after 10 minutes if the movie) After the movie then there is no more T.V. they play with each other or do other activities.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• The AAP says no tv under age 2 for several reasons. Research suggests several negative effects of TV before 2yrs old. One, is the more time babies/toddlers are in front of the TV, the lower their vocabularies. Another thing research shows is higher rates of ADHD later on for babies/toddlers who watched TV.

A lot of people think if it is "educational" their child is learning, picking up new words etc. The reality is children learn a lot more when the TV is off and they are interacting with real people and exploring their world.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:06 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• "The reality is children learn a lot more when the TV is off and they are interacting with real people and exploring their world."

Exacly right. The human voice, interaction, human touch, and exploring are crucial for healthy brain development.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:21 PM on Dec. 19, 2010