• In the Spotlight:

belly sleeping

my 4 month old loves to sleep on his belly. This has just started. He can roll from side to belly, and when he is on his stomach he can prop himself up on his elbows and look around. Is this still dangerous? He had an incline wedge, but he has got to where he will move his head of the side of it and wake up because of being uncomfortable. What should I do? He hates to sleep without the wedge unless on the tummy. Sorry if this is confusing lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Health

• I would still not lay him on his stomach until he can roll himself over. :/
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 10:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• If he can roll on his own and lift his head, I wouldn't worry too much. I think until he can roll from belly to back they still say to roll them back to their backs.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Not confusing at all, my baby did the same thing, incline wedge and all :) I'd say best thing to do is keep the crib clear of blankets and smothering stuffed-animals, and even those side bumpers are said to have caused suffocation. If you are a breast feeding mother, you're probably checking on him ever three hours or so anyway, and if not, you probably should. (If he doesn't wake-up, I have like an automatic alarm, you know, because I'm programmed that way I guess :p) I think it was a good thing when he woke-up when he was uncomfortable because it always reassured me(even if he was crying, crying is a sign that he's still breathing) so just keep his way open and clear. If he's congested use the little nostril squeegy. If the room is stuffy, run a fan at night. Etc. Let me know if this is any help to you. P.s. My baby is almost 11 months old and still prefers his stomache, while reminds me, I've gotta go check on him now...
    Rockyschick

Answer by Rockyschick at 10:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• My nurse actually told me that running a fan (like a box fan or something) in the baby's sleeping area reduces the risk of SIDS. Don't put it right on them, just run it in the same room. My DD's both liked their stomachs after they could roll over too. I wish I had better advice and I'm sure I'll catch a few comments from know-it-all mommies, but I slept on my stomach as a baby, as did all my sisters and brothers, my mom, my dad, hell even my grandparents, and we all turned out just fine. As long as the baby can turn its own head, lift it up and everything, I don't really see the harm as long as you check on him. :)
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 10:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• What I've read in books says that statistically the SIDS rate in babies only starts to drop off at 4 months. I think 2-4 months is the peak. Realistically, lot's of babies end up sleeping on their stomachs for the same reason you described. Parents just can't get their baby to back sleep, even with a positioner. And usually they do end up being just fine (but any risk is enough to drive a parent insane with worry). 3 things I've been told by my Dr. or have read; try to put him to sleep with a pacifier ( for some reason this changes their transition into sleep. They don't have to keep it in once they're asleep), make sure his mattress is very firm and the sheets are very taught, and as Rockyschick said, lose the bumbers.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 4:58 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• The general consensus on SIDS now is that babies re-breath their carbon dioxide when their faces are partially covered or pressed into a soft surface. Try not to let it worry you too much, just adjust to his stomach sleeping with a few extra precautions. I'm sure he'll be fine.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 5:00 AM on Nov. 9, 2008