Not understanding my SIL.

Last week my SIL informed my husband & I that her and her husband didn't have the $$ for Chrismtas gifts this year so she wanted to have a family game night with us on 12/28. I thought this was funny since a few weeks ago she was complaining about all the overtime she was getting at the hospital (she's a nurse). We had already bought her & her husband gifts but we didn't want to make them feel uncomfortable so we accepted her invite & returned them.

Yesterday was my DH's side of the family's Christmas. My SIL & her DH bought everyone gifts -- except us. She bought my mother in law a blue ray player & a certificate to spa and my husbands brother & his wife a Wii.

I understand that Christmas is not about gifts but we have no issues with her at all. We all get along great. I'm not understanding why she told us she had no money and wouldn't be buying gifts...but bought lavish gifts for others.

CayShek

Asked by CayShek at 2:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• Ouch...that was awkward for you and hubby I bet. Not too cool on SIL's part. One cannot begin to understand what is going on inside some people's heads these days! Glad you had taken the gifts back. (I was afraid you were going to say she bought you gifts etc. after saying she wasn't yada yada). Go to 'game night' and show the same class you did at the family get-together. Not worth getting worked up...let it go and enjoy your Christmas!
    KonaNannie

Answer by KonaNannie at 3:34 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Ask her

Answer by older at 2:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• That does seem off. Have your dh ask her.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 2:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Maybe they ended up spending so much money on other things that they ran out of money, or forgot about you. Personally, I would take family game night over a gift. You will have so much fun and be able to remember this time forever. Eventually the Wii will break and the gift certificate will be used and run out, but you will have the memories from a fun night with your family. That will last forever.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 3:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Have your hubby ask her....
    momma2b2008

Answer by momma2b2008 at 5:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• have ur hubby talk to her. my hubby has an older sister and when he decided to move to la to be with me she decided he was leaving her. we have since moved back and their relationship still has major issues. but the bad thing is that since she got married its been no calling this side of her family and other things so have dh talk to her
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 7:51 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I would venture to say they already spent all their money. But to be safe ask.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2010