What rules/restrictions do you have for your son/daughter's cellphone usage?

And how do you enforce/implement them?
I'm FINALLY getting my 14yo son a phone and having difficulty with the idea of giving him "unlimited" call time/texting. Would like for him to have some degree of responsible phone ownership...

bnjsmommy

Asked by bnjsmommy at 2:51 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• When our kids got their cellphones, they had to put them on a shelf in the living room, turned off, at 9 pm on school nights.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 2:56 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Our girls have so many shared min and unlimited text however phones are left in the kitchen during homework time and during dinner
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 3:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My rules for my son and his cell phone are, he is allowed 100 minutes a month to talk to whomever he wants. He is not allowed to delete any text messages, in or out. I read and delete them all. He is not allowed to have it at the family dinner table, homework time, or after 9 pm. He must answer if I call. I do not limit his texts at all.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 4:39 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Per school rules, no phone ON during school hours, if it gets taken then service will be suspended.
    At home - no phone at the dinner table. No "private" phone conversations - if you can't say in while I'm in the room, you don't need to say it. We have a central charging station and all electrons - cell phone, ipods etc. - go in the charging station at bedtime.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:56 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• We got a plan with unlimited text, but since my sons work we make them pay their own cell bill. My kids are 17 and 19 and have had their phones for almost three years.
    chickychatter

Answer by chickychatter at 8:29 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I took my daughter's phone away after she ran up a huge bill.
    mighty_V

Answer by mighty_V at 9:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• none. If she was using it during dinner I'd tell her not to, but she just doesn't anyway.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 11:11 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• We went with unlimited texting right off the bat because teens text a lot and it wasn't a lot for the unlimited texting on our plan. As far as unlimited talking went, that was never an option. Our sons knew that they could not make calls until after a certain time of night (7p) when our nights started and we kept an eye on the minutes to make sure they weren't on the phone before then. They could call anyone on weekends but mostly texted during the week which was fine with us.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:13 PM on Dec. 19, 2010