Opening Presents

When you open presents, does everyone just grab and rip and move on to the next one?
That is how my husband's family always did it.

But in my immediate family we always took turns so everyone could see what everyone else got and who it was from, admire the paper, how it was wrapped, etc. That is how I do it in my own family now.

How about you?

ChezBelle

Asked by ChezBelle at 3:06 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Holidays

• One person, almost always me, hands out a gift as I come to it, we all watch the recipient open their present, and then another gift is handed out. I don't like the thought of just ripping into everything and having it over so quickly - we've gone to a lot of trouble shopping, deciding on gifts, and making the packages look pretty. I want to see whether or not its appreciated.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• No grabbing and ripping!!! lol
    We designate a gift hander-outer, usually one of the kids, and they select one gift at a time and hand them out to the recipient. While one person is opening everybody has to watch and wait their turn. It makes Christmas morning last longer and every body can admire what others get. We also take a breakfast break in the middle of gift opening. With three kids, there are tons of gifts, and we need a refresher.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:12 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• ninjabunch of rosesgive all the presents to who they belong to.  1 person at al time then opens their presnet, then the next person opens their presents, etc.   and then finally the last person opens their presnts.    It's a well to do balance.  Also there maybe munchies to munch on and sometimes not, 

brieri

Answer by brieri at 3:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• slow and enjoy the "giving" side of the holidays as much as the getting
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:11 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I hand the presents to the kids and they kinda open them together. We like for them to kinda start and finish at the smae time so they may have moments they wait....The adults usually open last that how we do it.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 4:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I am the gift giver-outer and I hand each of the kids one at a time (let them rip through them) hand another etc etc... Once they are finished us grown-ups do ours (expect the ones from the kids - we let them wait to see us open them)/holding gifts

gambilldl

Answer by gambilldl at 5:29 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My FIL hands them out one by one so that we can all see what one another got.
    When we were kids we grabbed and ripped open. But I prefer the way my inlaws do it. That's how I will do it with my kids.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• All of the kids go first. They all open at the same time. Then the adults go. My dad's wife had us do the one at a time thing one year, and we all hated it. lol It just took way too long, for each person had like 15 different gifts to open. Groups of kids, than adults, just works good in our family. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• my step dads side rips and shreds and throw....my moms side has a designated hand outer of presents......we play a game to see who goes first.....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 20, 2010