is there anything OTC that you would trust to give to a 2 year old anymore?

my 2 year old came down with a runny nose yesterday and today is slightly wheezing, she is very borderline asthmatic. all ive been doing today is giving her treatments, limiting her milk intake and giving her lots of water and clear liquids. i havent given her anything for her cough or her congestion because everything in my medicine cabinet says for kids 4 and up. is there anything out there for 2 and up anymore? or anything that goes by weight? she's 28 and a half pounds and 35 inches so she is by no means tiny. the treatments aren't keeping the wheezing under control, she hasn't began retracting but that is my fear. everytime she gets sick she has chest retractions and we wind up in the ER. im just trying to prevent this from happening. what other home remedies can i do to help clear up this mucus before it settles too deeply in the chest and puts her in respiratory distress?? :(

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would ask the doctor. My doctor told us to g ive my dd have a dose of what it said to give a four year old for her coughing.
    akiranth

Answer by akiranth at 3:55 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My doctor just set to give half the dose. Like you said I hold not medical degree but I am confortale with that. i am sure that other Mommies would think that I was the worst Mommy in the world for doing that I am okay with it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:03 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• You can also ask a pharmacist. I truly trust my pharmacist as much as my pediatrician.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:11 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I would just keep doing what youre doing. Maybe turn on a humidifier. DS had a fever and aches las night and I gave him generic infant ibprofin. I'm still comfortable w/ those. But cold medicins? I dont even take them myself. Our nose is running and coughing and sneezing etc, as an attempt to expel the virus from our body. I wouldnt try to stop that.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 4:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I use Hyland's Homeopathic Cold'n Cough 4 Kids. It has dosage for 2 year olds on the bottle and works really well. Homeoathic medicine is actually better for you because it works with your immune system to fight and get rid of the cold. I get it from Walmart.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I would talk with the pharamacist about meds and dosages, its waht they went to school for...I would also call the doctor and explain that since he doesnt call back he needs to meet you at the er...if she gets that bad. I'm an LPN so I always went by my med books and her weight....there are some childrens liquid meds that will help as long as you get the dosage right.... losts of fluids, elavate the head of her bed, humidifier, mommy comfort always helps too....vapor rub helps too!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 6:18 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• When my child was having problems similar to those that you are having, I put vics vapor rub for babies/toddlers on the soles of her feet before bed, covering them with socks and also on her chest. Also, I bought the Hylands cold and cough. It is sold at WalMart. It is a nature remedy that helps boost the immune system to help fight the sickness. It worked well for me. I gave her 1/4 tsp. Which is under half of what it said to give a 2 year old and up.
    JLD0887

Answer by JLD0887 at 10:05 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• oh and yes, i know most of you dont hold a medical degree. so please dont bash me! im just asking what if anything is safe out there as far as OTC meds are concerned or if i can do anything here at home to help her. thank you!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• thank you! last time she was sick like this it was on the weekend, i called the doctor and the answering service paged the doctor and she never returned my call. eventually we had to go to the ER. they suck at calling back, and i tried calling the er once and even the pediatric icu where she stayed for a few days and the guy was as helpful as my shoe. :(
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• ask her doctor
    lilred07

Answer by lilred07 at 12:51 AM on Dec. 20, 2010