Unwanted pregnancy

Is there really an excuse? I mean short of rape. Birth control is readily available as are condoms, spermicides, sponges, diaphragms, Implants and surgeries. Reversible or not, hormonal or not. cheap or expensive... All with at least a 95% success rate. Is there truly an excuse for the massive number so unwanted or unplanned pregnancies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I don't know about others, but when DH and I learned that I was pregnant with my first we did panic. He had 2 previous children from another marriage and was going through a nasty divorce/custody battle. We wondered if bringing a child into that mess was a good idea, but we were also happy that we were going to have another child. Our second child wasn't planned either, but we weren't exactly trying to prevent conception either. With our third child we were trying to prevent pregnancy and God had other plans. By this time we were in a panic because this baby would make child number 5 for DH and #3 for me. We thought we couldn't afford another child, but we made sacrifices for our children so that we could have each and every one. Even if you're not trying to have a baby, you should woman (or man) up and take responsponcibility for what you have made. A child is a blessing, no matter if it is planned or not.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 5:19 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I think I know what you're saying. Go into it knowing that if you choose to have sex,you're choosing that you may get pregnant in the process. If you're not using bc,you're saying that you're ok with getting pregnant.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• birth control fails sometimes. theres always that 5%, and out of 6 billion people its a lot
    Anonymous

• well accidents DO happen.... but if you are choosing to have sex then you are choosing to deal with an accident should it occur. The unborn child is not at fault so killing it is rather selfish.
    Anonymous

• anon#3 so everytime you have sex youre expecting a baby? wow you must have hundreds of kids
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 4:28 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I understand where you are coming from. I agree - if you are having sex you should be prepared that the result of that sex could be a pregnancy. Birth control can fail (I got pregnant with my second daughter while on the pill and within 2 months of having come off of the shot) if you are not ready for the responsibility of a child don't have sex. It's pretty simple to me.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:55 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• no, dont think there is any excuse
    mistik75

Answer by mistik75 at 6:03 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Sex is to make babies...LOL I love when people say that, like that's the ONLY reason to have sex. People who say that must have shitty sex and never orgasm. :)

Now as others have said, ALL BC has a failure rate. Some, like myself, cannot tolerate any form of hormonal BC as well. So ALL the BC you mention is not available to EVERYONE. It is condoms only for us.

Anonymous

• I have 3 not planned and I love them each...also vasectomy reversals are like 7,000 and not guaranteed. With my first we did not use anything because after 3 years we never got pregnant and I really thought I could not have kids. I have ovarian cyst and wasn't sure if maybe it was because of that. With baby 2 I was BF'ing yes I know not BC but had no period but 16mos later my daughter came. With my 3rd I was on BC and got pregnant. Now I have the mirena. My kids were not planned but they are wanted not that is anyone business. There is never a right time for kids and after 3 I was like I can't deal with anymore. I love the pones I have but I am done...SO he went and got a vasectomy.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• my pregnancy is very wanted and has been since i found out but i was on the nuva ring which has a 99.9% protection. if i was in a different situation in my life then it could have been a very bad thing to be pregnant. believe it or not i know ALOT of people who have gotten pregnant while using birth control and i even have one friend who got pregnant 2 months after her husband had a vasectomy, turned out the tubes healed right back together. so it happens. i know you are probably speaking of maybe teenagers that are affraid to ask their parents for birth control and get pregnant or people who choose not to use it but how do you know right?
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:52 PM on Dec. 19, 2010