Christmas commercialism driving you nuts too?

A cpl of years ago, things got SO out of control with buying for all of the "adults" in mine and my dh's families that we made a rule to stop buying for all the grown ups. The "gift" portion of the holidays was designated to the kids and the adults were supposed to know the true meaning of Christmas and stick with Christmas cards and sharing each other's company etc. So dh's mom sends a check to us yesterday for $500. I'm really irritated. That's not just a gift or even a little money to get the kids a gift for Christmas. It's excessive. I suggested we buy them expensive gifts with the money they sent, but it still goes against our wishes. Dh doesn't seem to mind and I think he'd spend it all if I let him. Now dh and I have spent a good part of today trying to decide what to do with it last minute and how to reciprocate. A great gift to us would have been to simply get the kids a little something and send us a card. It seems that most of our disagreements have to do with his mom and now this. Uggghhh!

carol2m2

Asked by carol2m2 at 4:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Holidays

• I feel like I could puke a christmas ornament right now... I'm so ready for this to be over!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:19 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Sometimes a gift from a parent is simply that and does not need to be reciprocated. I just got a similar check from my in laws and they do not want anything in return. The kids made books from them. I plan on getting them a card and something from us but nothing major or equal in price. They have more to big and just want to bless us with a little bit of their excess.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:39 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• what I do lately is just bake and let everyone share. I give each nephew their own tin of cookies since last time I made one huge batch they ate them all before anyone else did. But I also make a one big tin for the adults. To me, christmas presents are all about the kids. I as an adult can handle no presents and watch the kids tear up the wrapping paper! That's a gift to me!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:47 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I don't feel right receiving and not giving anything back...and with an amount like that, I just feel uncomfortable. It's especially hard when the agreement was to not buy for adults in the first place.
    carol2m2

Comment by carol2m2 (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Me too!!
    carol2m2

Comment by carol2m2 (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Yeah...DEFINITELY what Christmas is supposed to be about!
    carol2m2

Comment by carol2m2 (original poster) at 12:53 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• ITS THE THOUGHT THAT COUNTS MAMA..............yeah it may have been a little much but they sent it to you guys for a good reason so enjoy it....if you want to do something after you buy for the kids,let your kids pick out a gift to get your parents with the remaining money....they obviously wanted to makes sure you guys have the best christmas ever.......
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 20, 2010