My son has tourette's and i can't find any meds that work!

So my son is 9 yrs old and was diagonsed with ts at age 5. We are so used to his tics we don't give it any thought. he is great about educating people when they stare. However his tics have been very bad lately and we are trying meds again(his choice always) and have found nothing that works for over a year now we have been trying! He also has severe ADHD. so many meds that work for tics make adhd unbareable! Does any one have same prob? Or maybe know of a new med that may work. Or maybe have ideas of how to help him relax? Besides massage and warm bath?

harris4

Asked by harris4 at 4:37 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I don't know about medications for Tourettes (disclaimer) I'm just going to address things I think may help with relaxation in general.

Meditations download free from Itunes, (these can be done as you fall asleep in the evening and played prior to getting up in the morning.

Reflexology. (In my experience this is one of the greatest tools for long term relaxation and the effects are cumulative. Maybe you could volunteer somewhere and ask them to train you for free and it'll be less exhausting for you than massage to administer)

Monitor diet and remove all sugars, caffeines and additives so as to reduce the stress on the body.

Children's Yoga - I imagine a caring instructor could work within your child's needs.

Animals at home for cuddles and love -- a cuddly cat or dog.

Find a doctor that works with vitamins and make sure all his levels are at the optimum (which by the way is not the FDA guidelin
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 8:15 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• my friend walter had tourrets, i don't know how severe but i do know that for treatment he went to a hypnotherapist and they helped him stop his outbursts by changing them into different ticks. instead of screaming obsinities at people he would sneeze or breathe funny. the factory thought he had terrible allergies.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Hmm i wonder if this is safe for my 9 yr old? i am going to research this ...ty ......His tics get so bad that he physically is sore and even hurts in diff parts of his body just from ticing.
    harris4

Comment by harris4 (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Not sure. Best of luck.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:13 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I don't have any idea how to make a recommendation, but I'll give you a bump.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• waxing had good relaxation ideas
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• i am not sure, but here's a bump!
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:14 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Look into a gluten free, dairy free diet. It easier then you might think, just start slow and be consistant.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 7:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2010