Why would someone...

AGREE with polygamy? Why would that be ok?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I can't agree with it. It goes against everything that marriage stands for. Marriage is a commitment and you CANNOT be fully committed to more than one person.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:37 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• They're brainwashed....that's all I can come up with. It's just not right.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Lust, selfishness, fear, ?
    DebateandRelate

Answer by DebateandRelate at 10:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• In many cultures it works very well. And not just many wives (polygyny) but also with one wife and many husbands (polyandry).

I have a good friend from the Middle East and she says the same thing about monogamy. (Not that everyone from the Middle East is polygamous.  She just happens to be and I am making a point about different cultures).  She plans on moving home and being in a polygamous marriage.  She wonders how American women can handle the isolation and raise children with out the help of other women.  For her there is a focus on the relationships with the other wives.  In her culture they  provide emotional support, help with chores, and help raise eachothers children. 

Not that I would want to jump into a polygamous marriage but it isn't always what we see on the new.

jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 10:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I can understand why a man would, but the women baffle me....
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 10:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I have a close friend that was raised in a polygamist family.The way that he was raised wasn't sick or wrong to him.He wasn't raised with mean or bad people.His father had two wives.They were a caring family.No brain washing or anything like that either.My friend had decided he didn't want to be a polygamist.His father just had two wives. My friend liked the fact that when he got hurt there was always someone there.Someone who was loving..be it a sibling, a mom, or his dad.They weren't FLDS, but they did practice polygamy.He loved coming from a large family and always felt safe.Would I chose that path, no..but I don't like to bash anyone.And my friend turned out to be a great man.Marrying underage children is definitely wrong, and I personally wouldn't be able to stand sharing my husband.I believe there are worse things than having multiple wives and putting everything you have into raising a loving family.
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 10:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• From a biblical standpoint

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/121-...about-polygamy

http://www.evangelical.us/polygamy/o...-polygamy.html

http://www.eadshome.com/polygamy.htm
    DebateandRelate

Answer by DebateandRelate at 11:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• LOL, this is totally off subject, but I can't ever look at your name DebateandRelate without thinking about how someone called you "DebateandRebate" once. Kind of like I can't see feesharose on here without thinking about the Anon. that called her freesahorse....*giggles*

Sorry. I should go to bed....
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• DebateandRelate - Not all polygamists believe in the Bible for one. And your references are pretty biased. Here are some scriptures about polygamy.

In Exodus 21:10, a man can marry an infinite amount of women without any limits to how many he can marry.

In Deuteronomy 21:15 "If a man has two wives, and he loves one but not the other, and both bear him sons...."

Genesis 31:17
    Then Jacob rose up, and set ... his wives upon camels.

Exodus 21:10
    If he take him another wife....

Deuteronomy 21:15
    If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated....

Judges 8:30
    And Gideon had threescore and ten sons of his body begotten: for he had many wives.

1 Samuel 1:1-2
    Elkanah ... had two wives; the name of the one was Hannah, and the name of the other Peninnah.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 11:35 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I've joked with my husband that I need a "wife" -- meaning a woman that would be happy to cook, clean, etc etc etc... Because that isn't me. Lol. I do the best I can, but I am not the kind of woman that gets a buzz from making the toilet sparkle. But thats about where my tolerance stops - I am too jealous a woman to be willing to share my hubby.. :) I don't think its right to say other people are "brainwashed" because they practice polygamy. You know there are many wives that don't care if their husband cheats as long as he doesn't mention it. *shrug* Every relationship is different, if the women or men enter into it with open expectations and it works for them - more power to them.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:09 AM on Nov. 9, 2008