should the stepmom take care of her step children when the father is away?

My husband is in the military. When he is away at drill , trainings and deployments am I supposed to pick up his kids and take care of them alone?

xoxo2010

Asked by xoxo2010 at 5:23 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would, but that's just me. I don't think that you should if you aren't feeling it. They would sense that you aren't into it and just resent you.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• It depends what your relationship with your step kids is. If they consider you a parent than yes, if they consider you as just someone who is sleeping with their dad than probably not
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 5:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• How close are you to the kids? If you aren't close then, no, I would not pick them up and have the visitation without their dad. If you are and their mom has nothing against it, I would still have them visit.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:28 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• if you do it while he is here then i would do it while hes gone.
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• their mother should be first on the list to care for the children, but usually in the military if the children are under age, custody has to be signed over to someone, so that the children are taken care of while away (if Im not mistaken... I could be wrong). Mom should be there if not, then its on you, I guess... unless there is other family that mom and dad would prefer the kids go to... I personally would take care of the kids...
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 5:29 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Yes. They have siblings and the stepmom is still going to be around even when the father is there. My husband is deployed and I always take my stepson for weekends. Our kids are brothers and sister they deserve to each other and play with it other
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I believe that you should, but thats bc that I believe that when you start a relationship with someone that has children that they are included in the relationship, bc you cant have one with out the other, they are like a package deal! But that is just how I feel about it!
    onekindofcutie

Answer by onekindofcutie at 5:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I would but that is me. I am still a big part of his life so even though dad is away, I still want him to be here during his time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:44 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I would. If I marry a guy with children I would marry with the children as well. So being a stepmom means take care of your step children. You are the grown-up. Even you don't have a good relationship they are only kids. They need someone to look after them. It must be big fight without your husband. But you promised at the church... in good and in bad times...

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 5:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I think that if you have a good relationship with them and both mom and dad are fine with it then why not?
    Anonymous