Why would someone...

AGREE with polygamy? I just heard an Anon. say they thought it was fine and was wondering WHY they could possibly feel that way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• In many cultures it works very well. And not just many wives (polygyny) but also with one wife and many husbands (polyandry).

I have a good friend from the Middle East and she says the same thing about monogamy. (Not that everyone from the Middle East is polygamous. She just happens to be and I am making a point about different cultures). She plans on moving home and being in a polygamous marriage. She wonders how American women can handle the isolation and raise children with out the help of other women. For her there is a focus on the relationships with the other wives. In her culture they provide emotional support, help with chores, and help raise eachothers children.

Not that I would want to jump into a polygamous marriage but it isn't always what we see on the new.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 10:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I agree with it IF the multiple wives know about each other and are OK with it. It's their choice to share a man, it doesn't effect me. I disagree with the men that marry lots of women and they never know about each other or fine out later.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• i think its sick,
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Because everyone should be able to live life however they choose.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 10:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Its not something I would ever want to do, but I guess if there are happy couples out there that do it, good for them. As long as they understand the dynamics of it and are comfortable with it, then it really doesn't effect me in the slightest.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• thank you jcsscfam5 for giving us the other side's perspective! I was about to tell lexsiesmommy that someone else might find her relationship sick :)
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• No idea. That undermines everything that marriage stands for. Marriage is a commitment, and you CANNOT be fully commited to more than one person.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• To add to that, it doesn't affect me, and I wouldn't protest it or anything. I just disagree with it.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Why can't you be fully committed to more then one person? It is looked at as a family unit and each person brings something unique and different. Really, I am not saying that all polygamy is beautiful and wonderful. There is just more to it then the media represents.

jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• FULLY committed? I feel that the word fully speaks for itself. Not to mention you'd be committing adultery every day of your marriage(s).
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2008