Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child name change not due to marriage

Who has changed their child's last name? I'm a single parent and my son's father hasn't helped in any fashion since I told him I was prego. I never really thought twice about his last name (fathers) when i was choosing my son's name i just automatically put his (fathers) name there. When I signed the birth certificate I asked the lady to come back so i could change it to mine cause the father came to the hospital for a minute and left. By time the registar lady came I was getting ready to go and the nurse was rushing me, no one was there to help me, so I just left it alone cause I didnt know what to do. now my son is about to be 2 and still nada. When i get the money I am going to change his name back to mine because I do all the work. I want all the praise. And I hate when people, let's say doc office or something, and they say can I speak to the parents of ____(his last name). YUCK! I dont want to be reminded of his father. I want NO connection with him.

With that said....anyone been through the name changing process? how did you feel going and after? Do your kids ask why or anything? Did you have family support?

Answer Question

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 5:46 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 18 (5,302 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Is the father's name on the birth certificate? If so, then unfortunately, He will have to approve the name change.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 5:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • The PP is correct. If you put the child's father on the birth certificate, money or no will have to have his approval to change your child's last name.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:54 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • I had a simular situation and changed my daughters name in CA. I just applied for a name change and explained that he had not been in the picture for a year and I did not know where he was. I had to put a notice in the paper to give him a chance to contest it. When he did not show up at the court date I was given permission to change her last name.

    Answer by hotrodlassie at 6:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • If his name is already on there he would have to approve the name change, & also if your child already knows his last name just leave it alone you cant hide his father forever & eventually questions will be asked!

    Answer by Marie_07 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • Ok I dont mind my son asking questions. he did not sign it but because he failed to appear at the child support meeting he was automatically placed on the birth certificate. I am lead guardian can't I send him the info and when he fails to do anything go ahead with changing his name. No my son has no idea what his name is. The child support lady said the same thing do it while they are young. I read something on the michigan court page and they had something like you have to wait 2 years to file. Like On the date you file the other parents has had to be not in contact and or done good to get the court to side with you. His father was just made to pay childsupport and is already behinde LMAO! I know I would have to give him proper notification. He didnt show up for anything else so I know he wont show up for court hearing to remove his name lol I wish I would went with my gut and changed it at the hospital¬ all this crap now

    Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.