What would get him?

My dh is the bread winner I am a sahm Christmas is around the corner and I haven't got him anything...ugh! Since he brings home the bacon I feel like I will be spending his money for his gift what do I do? Even though he says his money is ours ;) He such a good person I love him so much ;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• I used to look at it the way you do (sometimes still do), but finally I figured I run errands for him, I take care of our home, kids and such so I deserve a little something. I usually just get cash out of the ATM and then go and buy his gift. This year I got lucky and a friend of my husbands had some work he wanted me to do. He paid me a lot of money, so I was able to buy his present with my money this year.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 6:18 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• since things are tight at our house , i would always make sure my hubby has nice clothes to wear and nice things to eat but mainly, its not about the gift giving.........
    mistik75

Answer by mistik75 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I used to look at it this way however DH sure doesnt....recently he had a few 80 hr weeks... that was hard on us both... he got cash out and handed me some extra with the saying...I was not the only one to work all the overtime... IT is TOTALLY both of your $$
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 6:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• IF you feel that bad watch a few kids during the wwek make some extra money and use that to buy his gift but i love the fact that he say it s our money thats wonderful god bless the both of you
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 7:00 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• The household income is for the household. Who brings it home doesn't own it, but the COUPLE who run the household share it. Not only to provide for the family, but as well to provide for one another. You wouldn't feel, I would hope, that the money was only your money if you were the bread winner of the family. Therefore, see it from that same point of view that you're bringing home the household income that is distributed only by say so of you both. With that said, if you want to get your husband a gift then go for it. Grab some cash and go spoil that hard workign man of yours!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I also used to feel like it was his money, too, but I don't feel that way anymore. First of all, I've born his child, and no one can ever pay enough for that! Second, I'm raising his child, taking care of his home, and feeding him. Those aren't "just" household duties: there are people in this world who get paid to do just ONE of those things, and not with the hours we keep! :) If DH was my employer and I was doing these things for him professionally, I would cost him quite a bit! So the way I see it, he's lucky I don't take his whole paycheck! :)

No, really, I'm so thankful my husband brings in the bacon so that I can do this job I love. I handle all the bills, so DH pretty much doesn't have much idea what's in the account. I actually feel weirder when he buys ME a present and I process the receipt!

Oh, and just for the record, I'm not a big spender. I never really buy myself anything without letting him know.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:11 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• If you're married, then what's yours is his and what's his is yours, so it is your money, too. Buy him something he needs or could use.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 20, 2010