What milestones should a five and half month old baby be at by this age?

bellamommyof4

Asked by bellamommyof4 at 6:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• effectively there are not 'rules' You could easily look up the answer to this on google and find 20 totally different list! there are certain things they 'like' to see by a certain age though. Such as smiling by age 6 month, Head being steady by 6 months, recognizes familiar faces by 6 months, doesn't want toys taken form them by 6 months... Those are the ones I remember. Just keep in mind MOST milestones are guidelines not rules.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:12 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I'm not 100% sure but by that age my ds was sitting unsupported and would get on his hands and knees rocking.
    Avetay

Answer by Avetay at 6:12 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• At the 6 month mark my son was just starting to get up on his hands and knees and rock, he army crawled, and he could sit up by himself. Every baby is different, my nephew is 11 months and doesnt crawl or get up on his hands and knees.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Both my boys started doing things at different ages.......................... Trystan was walking by 9.5 months but didnt crawl even a little bit untill shortly before. Kameron seems to be a little ahead of where he was (but not by much)and he`s 7m. I`m reluctant to be specific of what they did around 5 months because all babies are different. Are you concerned about anything?
    Chantalg12

Answer by Chantalg12 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• The doc didn't give you a paper that list them all? Mine did. My NB went for his 2 month check up and he asked me if he was smiling and lifting his head when on belly. So, those two things, plus cooing, rolls over, eyes follow people, hold small toys...there are tons more Every baby is different.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 12:06 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• You can Buy a book or get it from the library- I found it very informative
    http://bit.ly/ftPL9L
    and
    http://www.amazon.com/What-Expect-First-Arlene-Eisenberg/dp/0894805770http://bit.ly/ftPL9L
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 3:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• It depends on the baby. Join the July 2010 Babies group if you haven't already. You can see the varying stages our babies are at. My baby is 5 1/2 months too. Some of the babies are sitting and some aren't even rolling yet. It really is just one of those things, ya know?!?
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 12:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It just depends. I would think by 5 1/2 months he would at least be trying to roll (one way or the other), grabbing things with his hands and trying to get them in his mouth and being awake, more attentive. He should be able to sit in your lap with minimal support, too. But it really varies. My 5mo is rolling all over, pulling himself with his hands to try and get his toys, shaking his rattles, putting his toys in his mouth, exploring his hands and feet. Today he figured out how to hold his own bottle while he's eating. He isn't crawling or sitting (without help). He's my 5th and each one was a little different. My older son was crawling up the stairs at 5 1/2 months. By 6 months he was pulling up on the furniture and cruising around (walking while holding on to things). He was a handful.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2010