Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Is this legal?

My DH has a special needs daughter, they have joint custody of her and the ex is trying to have papers written up, leaving custody of her to her very immature, barely legal sister. Can she do that if he is willing and able to take her?


Asked by gatorswife at 6:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 15 (2,131 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • Most judges will award full custody to the bio parent before they will grant it to another member of the family. Even if the EX recommends it, the judge will probably laugh it off.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 6:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • You guys need to contact a lawyer & get free consult so you can fully understand what steps you guys can take in order to receive cusotdy

    Answer by Marie_07 at 6:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • This is what we are hoping for Jade, but she is manipulating my DH and I am afraid it had literally made him sick.

    Comment by gatorswife (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • I wouldnt think so if he has joint custody. But I would contact a lawyer so you will know your rights.

    Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 6:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • I doubt it but he needs legal advice.

    Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 8:29 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • Laws are different in every state. Contact a lawyer.

    Answer by bseastrand at 10:45 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • Unless the ex can prove in a court of law abuse and or neglect, it is highly unlikely this will happen. I would call a lawyer if you have any concerns or questions.

    Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 20, 2010