I was wondering of anyone could tell me what it means to have low amniotic fluid in a pregnancy?

At a recent trip to the ER I was informed that in my 17th week of my pregnancy, I have evidence of low amniotic fluid. As I have never had this before, I was wondering if anyone else has ever faced this, and what complications could come and what to expect? Can the pregnancy still go alright? Could i be facing preterm labor? Should I be considering a C-section with the one? Admittedly I am scared and would just like tobe more informed so I can be a little more prepared. Thank you for anyone who can help me.

LadyAurora

Asked by LadyAurora at 6:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You're probably dehydrated. Drink a lot of water every day. You should be fine.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• This happen to my friend a while back. She was hospitalized a few times until she could build her fluid back up. In the end they had to induce her early, baby had to stay in the hospital for a while but she is doing okay now. Good luck!
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 6:47 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I am actually a nurse and have seen this before. Your pregnancy could go along just fine despite the decrease in fluid. Don't get too worried, your doctor should be able to handle all the complications if any at all. C section is a possibility but I wouldn't stree too much right now. Focus on rest and destress for the babies sake.
    com_wat_may

Answer by com_wat_may at 6:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• @ Buttercup777 - Sadly it's not dehydration. All my other tests came back normal and just fine. The baby itself is even showing healthy growing signs. This is just creating a lot of pain especially after I work a full day at my job and try to come home and relax. That's why it was so strange for me to be having the problems I was having. Though I will contiue with my water intake, that won't change. Thank you :)
    @nicjon - It is good to know that I am not alone in this. It's scary to know I could be hospitalized. I'm trying to do what I can to avoid that lol. But so long as me and baby will be alright, that's all I hope for. I just never know what to expect... Thank you for your insight.
    LadyAurora

Comment by LadyAurora (original poster) at 6:52 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• your dr will monitor your fluid more carefully threwout the rest of the pregnancy i had this with my first and i was placed on bed rest (along with other complications) and once i went into labor they brought me in right away to make sure nothing happend. they may have you induced so they can make sure everything goes according to plan. you might need a c section altho i never did. drink lots of water and try to relax you still got a looong way to go. and its horrible when your put on best rest this early. . .
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 6:56 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I had lower(actually nonexistent) fluid when I was 37 weeks, and my son had stopped growing... nothing like your situation.

I was induced that wasn't successful and chose a csection. They believe that I must have started to slowly lose water when I went into preterm labor at 20wks. Again though mine was near the end of my pregnancy and my son's growth had stopped making process.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:56 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• low amniotic fluid is a sign that babys kidneys may not be working properly. babies drink the amniotic fluid and when the output is not addaquate it causes low amniotic fluid. your ob should be notified before your next appointment incase he wants to see you sooner. they will probably send you to a specialist to check his kidneys,
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:57 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• @com_wat_may - Thank you for your insight. I really do appreciate it
    LadyAurora

Comment by LadyAurora (original poster) at 7:01 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I'm not sure but good luck! :)
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 12:20 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I love when nurse moms are on CM Answers!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:12 AM on Dec. 20, 2010