it's repealed...or is it>?

Remember how I said I didn't find the language of the DADT repeal compelling? It's repealed in Congress, but still remains in effect until there's certification that the Pentagon is ready and it won't hurt effectiveness, etc, etc.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/19/lgbt-groups-warn-servicemembers-reenlist-_n_798848.html?ref=tw

So is it REALLY repealed? or is this just a sham of feel good legislation? Do you think the Pentagon will be all over it? Or now that a big deal has been made of the repeal, do you think it will fall by the wayside?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 6:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I thought the Pentagon report came out already?
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 7:18 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• This is from today, stating that some big head has to sign off on readiness, and then it is repealed sixty days after that happens. So It's not REALLY repealed, it's KIND of repealed.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 7:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I told you so.

There are problems with the Pentagon report. The results of the surveys and the surveys themselves are getting a lot of complaints. The survey results do not match the smaller scale surveys within the units themselves. There are complaints that the questions in the surveys were worded in such a way that any answer was a postive one. I received and completed a dependent survey and I agree with the complaints.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• WASHINGTON -- Although both chambers of Congress have now passed a repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell (DADT) and the President is expected to sign the legislation into law this week, LGBT advocacy organizations are warning gay and lesbian soldiers not to reveal their sexuality or re-enlist in the military quite yet.

"While the immediate impact of this bill may inspire folks from across the nation, it is important to note that full implementation has yet to take place, and that it is not yet safe for service members to disclose their sexual orientation," wrote the Human Rights Campaign on its blog Saturday afternoon.

Even after Obama signs the repeal into law, he -- along with the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Defense Secretary -- must issue a certification stating the Pentagon is prepared to implement the repeal in a manner that won't hurt readiness, effectiveness, c ohesion or recruiting. DADT will still be law
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Yeah, I know, remember, I went to read the law as soon as it went to the floor, and the repeal didn't ring true to me.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I remember. I think it is sad. People are all excited about this and it doesn't really mean anything. Our politcians can now say "we repealed it" and blame the military for never making the changes. In reality, the military will have to figure out logistics and Congress will have to make changes to the UCMJ. If they really wanted to repeal why didn't they make the change to the UCMJ first?

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• There are problems with the Pentagon report. The results of the surveys and the surveys themselves are getting a lot of complaints.

You mean it was fixed.

They lied?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...................................

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:58 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• The review needs to be certified. It should take about one yeat to fully go in effect. They may give directives to not proceed with any dadt cases ..

Its the start of the process
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• THIS>>> answer by YSK/ If they really wanted to repeal why didn't they make the change to the UCMJ first?
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 10:54 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• The point about the UCMJ is spot on ...even if DADT is repealed, the only homosexuals will be able to do is talk about their being gay ... with the sodomy laws under UCMJ, no homosexual will be able to ACT on their homosexual feelings.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:22 PM on Dec. 19, 2010