Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Making and Selling small food items out of your home.....can you?

Can you make small food items and sell them without having to have a food handling license for your particular state? I want to know how many other women on here do this? And if your one of them that do....have you ever gotten turned in or got in trouble for doing so?
I'd like to make a couple food items from my home just to sell for some extra cash.
Any other info or advice would be greatly appreciated! Just FYI I live in IL.


Asked by CABlonde at 6:54 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 19 (7,134 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • Check your state laws or keep it just between you & people you trust the only way you can get in trouble if if someone reports you but at the same time they are buying from you at there own disgression

    Answer by Marie_07 at 6:56 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • I live in Michigan and just this past summer our laws changed so that we CAN sell food products out of our home kitchens with no permits or licenses as long as our annual income from said sales is under $15,000. I sell decorated cakes and baked goods.

    Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:42 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

  • I question your idea because what if something you made caused someone to get sick? Sounds like a lot of liability to me. I think you have to get a license first.

    Answer by Averylee85 at 6:57 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • I don't know if it's legal, but it doesn't sound like it. I would not sell food items from my own kitchen, it sounds like a huge headache to me - food handling licenses, meeting health department regulations, etc.

    Answer by scout_mom at 7:04 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • No. Before you can make and sell anything you must have a business license (Tax ID) and register your company with your state. Even if you are making simple chocolate lollipops, the fact that you are selling them to make money, means you will be subjected to zoning laws in your city/town, and health inspections!!

    I used to run my own custom gift basket company (home-based), and even though I was licensed and registered, I was still liable whenever I included prepackaged items in my baskets!! I had to be careful that the packages were marked for resale and their expiration dates hadn't passed. Believe me, if there is a way someone can try and sue you, they will! We live in a VERY litigious society!!

    Answer by LoriKeet at 7:05 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • And remember when it comes to home-based businesses, your HOME and personal bank accounts can become assets in a law suit, and you could lose everything!! You need to Incorporate your business....look into S-Corporations and liability insurance for individual home-based businesses if you do decide to go this route.

    Answer by LoriKeet at 7:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • Legally you have to not just have the business license/permit & tax ID but to produce food you have to have your kitchen pass inspection, and laws on how a kitchen must be are tight, such as a sink for food another for dishes. A friend of mine had an inspector come when she wanted to have a cake baking business from her be approved she would have needed over $20,000 in updates to her kitchen, which she could not afford.

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:19 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • This varies greatly by state, but I think all states require some sort of licensing. In Texas, it is not allowed without a commercial-grade kitchen.

    Answer by andrea96 at 7:23 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • I wouldnt take on that risk, if someone got sick they could sue the crap out of you

    Answer by leksismommy at 7:26 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • What kind of food items? I have a friend that has a catering business out of her home for weekend wedding, parties, etc. and I just asked her and she told me she has not special license.

    Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 8:30 PM on Dec. 19, 2010