at what age did your child(ren) understand the meaning of christmas? ex. jesus/santa/presents

she is 21 months and she points to santa and i take her to church but i just feel she is still so little to really understand. well the baby jesus thing def too small but when did yours understand about santa and presents. thanks

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 7:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DD is 25 months- she gets that Christmas is Baby Jesus' birthday and that Santa is coming, but.. she doesn't GET get it.. I'm almost positive she'll have it down packed by next Christmas.. either way.. we're all pretty excited :)
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 11:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• DD at 3 seems to understand well, at 2 she could tell you Christmas was Jesus' birthday but I don't think she 'got it'. DS who is developmentally delayed was closer to 4 and a half.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• She never said she was lying she just wants to no what age the kids "understand" why is it so hard to ask other mothers questions without anyone being negaitive! is it really that serious could you just say when yours understood and not bash the lady for askin a logical question!! goodness!! mine is 1.5 and says WOW everytime we pass our xmas tree but santa is not known to her she jus looks at him lol :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 11:56 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Mine all understood that we celebrate Christmas to celebrate Baby Jesus Birthday by the time they were 3. We never pushed the Santa issue. They know they get presents at Chrismas but they know it's more important why we celebrate.
    Anonymous

• well its my business if i tell her about santa and that was not the question. i always did my whole life and i was not damaged. why do people just answer questions on this site...geez! i do not care if you don;t do santa at your house but let me do what i want to do with my kid and its not lying its just childhood!
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 9:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• He really understood it this year (he is 4). He also knows though that Santa is not real.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 11:57 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• dont lie to your kids tell them from the begining, they will be just as excited wait and see
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 8:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2010