Is it just me or is breastfeeding making you eat more?

I am constantly shoving food in my mouth. I feel like I have an eating disorder or something. Hell I didn't eat this much when I was pregnant.

nicjon

Asked by nicjon at 7:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I tended to drink more. I wanted water all the time! I did tend to want snacks during night feedings though, I dunno if it was related or just because it was night adn I was awake...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:28 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I've always become ferociously hungry while breastfeeding, its the only downfall for me. After the baby starts eating solids I regain control of my appetite, for me thats around 10- 13 months. On average, my kids wean around 2.5 years. After the first 10- 13 months, I start to lose weight... :) So I'm excited!!!!

Mom to 4
    4heartbeats

Answer by 4heartbeats at 7:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I did eat more and drink more while I was nursing.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:12 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Yes, I eat more due to nursing. I need to go on a diet though. I weigh almost as much as I did at the very end of my pregnancy.
    SapphireMomma

Answer by SapphireMomma at 9:13 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Well it does take more out of you to produce breastmilk...something like 500 extra calories a day. So yeah, that's pretty normal. I felt the same way, I was always more thirsty too. I had to have a lot to drink and at least a snack every time baby ate!
    Anonymous

• I don't feel hungry but I am thirsty all of the time.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:35 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• It's not just you!
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 12:18 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• You're trying to get the nutrients back in your body from the breast feeding! Totally normal.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:57 AM on Dec. 20, 2010