My husband keeps wanting to give "tastes" to our 1 month old.

Our DS is 5 weeks old and my husband keeps wanting to give him tastes of things. Lick a crackers, taste pineapple juice off his finger, ect. Is this bad? If so, why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• No it is not bad. I did it. It did not hurt my kids.

Answer by louise2 at 7:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Yes. He is to young to handle any unknown allergies that may arise. His digestive tract is not ready to handle 'real' food yet. and if he accidentally bit off a piece he could strangle.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My husband would want to do that too, but I always told him not to. I think the main concern is with allergies, it's not worth the risk, and the baby really isn't going to give you a good happy reaction to the different tastes at this point anyway.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 7:36 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My husband always starts doing this too, around 2-3 months. I dont like it, but I dont give him a hard time about it. I watch closely to make sure he doesnt give baby too much of a taste, and wont let him do it more than once in a while. Babies are supposed to nurse exclusively for the first 6 months (I dont know when food is introduced with formula fed babies), at 6 months I'm all for giving baby little tastes...but before then, it could give baby a tummy ache, expose baby to bacteria he/she is unable to handle/digest..like honey, overwhelm babies taste buds, etc. I'm sure there's more to it, but that's my handle on it.
    4heartbeats

Answer by 4heartbeats at 7:37 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Choke? I doubt it. Small taste of food,(liquid type) food well not hurt.

Tell me.  How are you suppose to know if a baby is allergic to something if you do not let them have some of it??

Answer by louise2 at 7:38 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• a little taste wont hurt him....I wouldnt let him have anything people are normally allergic too. eggs, peanut butter, strawberries
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 7:39 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Tell me. How are you suppose to know if a baby is allergic to something if you do not let them have some of it??

well the chances of you getting an infant to the er in time with anapholiactic shock is going to be much less than at 6m-2 years.
    Anonymous

• All a baby of that age needs is breastmilk or formula. Follow your doctor's advice when to start other foods. There will be plenty of time for tasting other things.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My mother gave my son mashed potatos and gravy at 1 month and when I objected her answer was "this is what i fed you when you a baby and you turned out ok." He turned out just fine too, but it's beside the point. I would have to say....you know your child better than anyone else. Trust your instinct and you will be fine.
    bluegrassjuliet

Answer by bluegrassjuliet at 7:58 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My pediatrician said starting to let infants taste things too early can lead to being (if done alot) overweight, diabetes, and them not wanting to drink their formula.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 8:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2010