What are some of the Christmas traditions from your family (growing up) that you will keep alive with your children?

I have so many. This will be our first Christmas without my mom (who gave me to many wonderful traditions to pass down to my children). One tradition is that all the family gets together on Christmas eve (brothers, sisters, parents, kids, cousins, nieces, nephews, grandparents, friends, EVERYone!) and we listen to Christmas music, visit, and enjoy deli platters and fresh-baked Christmas cookies. In the past, my mom has held this at her house, but now that she has passed away, I will be having it at my house this year. I'm grateful for all the memories and traditions that she gave me to pass down. What are some of your traditions you plan to keep/make with your kids? :)

Kword

Asked by Kword at 7:55 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Holidays

• My papa saves all his change throughout the year and Christmas morning after breakfast all us kids get to do the money grab bowl. There are rules: one handful per kid claw-style, no scooping and you have to shake your hand before putting it in the baggie. I'm 34 now and have been told since I was 18 it was my last year...it hasn't been yet! :) It's something we will continue in my family forever!
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 8:05 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• christmas pickle.We hide a pickle ornament in the tree and whomever finds it gets to open the first present.
    preciouschild

Answer by preciouschild at 8:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• baking fresh cookies the night santa comes,getting a bath then putting our PJ's on then it was story time....the next day we opened stockings,ate breakfast,opened presents,picked up the trash,got dressed and just enjoyed the rest of the day together....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 11:05 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• We dont live near any of our family because we move through the military but there is a few things we have carried down from when we were kids...We read 2 christmas stories on christmas eve and then we get to open one thing that night as well(usualy pj's for us to wear that night to bed). DH dosnt like that one so much lol but we compermised lol. Then on christmas DH always had cinamon(sp) rolls so we are keeping that then open the presents....Then we are starting our own tradition this year....DH didnt want turkey again and neither one of us likes ham so we are making some cornish hens.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:20 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• That's a great tradition! I bet it brings back many wonderful memories for you and your family. :)
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 8:06 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• All great traditions! I love them!
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Dec. 20, 2010