Am I the only one who feels like this and if not then what would be a good way to handle it?

My daughter is 8months old, she was 3 months premature and she is my first child and I am her only caregiver....my younger sister is 17 and she loves the baby, and she keeps begging me to let her take my daughter places with her, but i just don't feel comfortable with the idea. I'm not trying to be selfish, I just feel more at ease when I can supervise where and who my daughter is around.

Morika H.

Asked by Morika H. at 8:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i agree with vicesix. why dont you let her do some supervised babysitting instead? like have her come over to watch your dd while you have to do some house work.
    my issue would be at 17 kids just dont have the experience to drive with babies in the car. and this is coming from a teen mom (i had my dd when i was 17).
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 8:29 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I probably wouldn't be comfortable sending my infant with a 17 year old either, particularly if the baby was born that early and probably had some health/survival struggles. I imagine that might even make you feel even more protective than new moms already do :) Your 17 year old sister will probably understand one day, when she becomes a mom.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I can understand wanting to be with your child all the time to make sure they are safe and being cared for the way you want. If you trust your sister then maybe you could let her watch your DD at your house so you can go to the store or something. Maybe if you are only gone for like 1/2 hour just to see how she does. I know right now it might be very hard to let someone else watch your child, just know that she more than likely means well and just wants to help.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• yeah she will understand some day she is a teen and you should be so lucky that your teen is even interested in being around your kid my teen siblings see my son as a baby and wont watch him they dont really care for babies much they are kids...you might want her to baby sit someday but right now i feel you are justified
    Roxeybunnie

Answer by Roxeybunnie at 8:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I don't let anyone take my daughter, b/c if she's with me I know she's safe. She's ten months old. I'm told that this will lessen as she gets older.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 8:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• *teen sister
    Roxeybunnie

Answer by Roxeybunnie at 8:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I'm that way with anyone and my kids and my oldest is 5! I have only left my 8 month old with someone else (my mother or MIL) twice.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 8:34 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I agree roxey my teen sister is like ew a baby lol i wish she was interested in babies more give me and my Dh a night off i would let her watch my kid
    mixedmommysrule

Answer by mixedmommysrule at 8:35 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

Answer by bseastrand

My son is 4 and a half and he only ever goes anywhere with his dad. I'm like you, if he's with me, I know he's safe.

OP, I think you're completely justified in wanting to keep your baby with you. With her being a preemie, you need to be cautious.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 8:39 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• She does mean well, but I just feel she is not responsible enough because she sees my daughter as more of a novelty to show off to everyone and play house, I know she loves her and would never intentionally hurt her, but like others have said I just feel more comfortable always with her so that way there is no doubt in my mind she is being taken care of...its more about the driving and taken her off somewhere that really has me uncomfortable and that's what she keeps pressuring me to let her do.
    tearsofdixie

Comment by tearsofdixie (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Dec. 19, 2010