My 5yr old is messing her panties again!

My 5yr old girl who has been potty trained for over 2yrs has started having accidents. In the past any few and far between accidents were because she had refused to go to the bathroom. She would get constipated, and by the time her bowels loosened up she pretty much exploded. It would last a few days and she would right herself. On a regular basis I give her a balanced diet, but I beef the fiber and yogurt when this happens. This time however she has loose stool, cries when I have her sit on the toilet and try and go. She says it burns. She goes #2 all the time.She says she doesn't know when she goes. I have threatened spankings, no snacks. I have overe rewards for her panties being clean. I don't know what to do. Is she faking? Does she need to see the dr? Any words of wisdom would be great.

randieia

Asked by randieia at 8:51 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Don't get upset with her. Maybe the muscles to stop herself are not working. Have her checked at the doctor's.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I was in the grocery when I realized I messed myself one day. OMG that was embarrassing! It happens. I didn't even feel the urge to go! It just came out!
    Anonymous

• The first thing I would do is take her to the Dr. and rule out any medical reason. Along with that is this change possibly related to a change in the home? A move? Marriage? Divorce? New Baby? A death? Is molestation a possibility? All these are things to think about first.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:54 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Hon... frequent defecation and her crying that "it burns" when she goes? That SCREAMS sexual abuse. Many male abusers will sodomize their female victims... especially small children.
    Take her to the doctor NOW!
    And don't expect her to admit that it's happening if you ask her. Many children have been theatened and mentally abused to the point that they CANNOT tell.
    Please... take her to the doctor and tell him what you've told us here.
    rhianonmat

Answer by rhianonmat at 9:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I agree you should take her to the doctor soon, but ask them to check for a UTI. That also burns. I used to get them regularly when I was just a little older than her, but I didn't know how to explain what's happening and my parents never knew. Maybe she's also holding in the poo because she doesn't want to go at all.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:19 PM on Dec. 20, 2010