six yr old w/sore throat and fever x's 2 days....

SO, I AM OBVIOUSLY CALLING THE DOC IN THE MORNING....

My DD has had a fever from 99.5 to 103 (taken via the ear) since late Saturday afternoon. She is also complaining of a sore throat. Motrin knocks the fever down, but 6-8 hours later it's back just as strong. Thinking Strep... but I can't get a good look at her throat... what do you think?? She's never sick, so it's breaking me heart ;o(

Crafty26

Asked by Crafty26 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• sounds like strep to me.....antibiotics will help her feel better....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• try giving her a luke warm bath! it should help with the fever! and some warm lemon water with some honey will help her throat! good luck! they are so sad when they are sick!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Thanks Caroline. All I can get her to eat or drink so far is yogurt and ice water. She even refused ice cream ;o(. Right now she's in bed with a few ice packs. Morning can't come soon enough, right!

Crafty26

Comment by Crafty26 (original poster) at 9:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Yep, good thing you're calling the doc, very likely it's strep. I know in my area it's going around like crazy - I went to the doc on Wednesday and she alone (it's a 10 doc practice) had 6 positive streps that day. Yogurt isn't the best though, dairy can cause the body to produce more phlegm which hurts more to swallow.
    Anonymous

• yeah, I know all about the dairy/phlegm connection... but she isn't having a phlem issue... no real cold s/sx at all. The only thing she's eaten in two days is yogurt and cottage cheese... better then nothing. The yogurt will help with what the antibiotics are going to do to her poor little intestines though ;o(. Thanks... just set the alarm so I can call Doc right when they open!!

Crafty26

Comment by Crafty26 (original poster) at 11:46 PM on Dec. 19, 2010