Taking stitches out yourself? I have 6 in my middle finger. Any advice on taking them out myself?

DancerMomof2

Asked by DancerMomof2 at 9:04 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Health

• I dont know why so many are acting all freaked out about taking out some stitches! sheesh. You'd think you asked how to operate on yourself! You can clearly tell when its healed up & you can clearly see if its infected. Here you go..why dont you sit down in a manure pile & pick them off with a rusty safety pin? LOL!!
    Anonymous

• It is difficult to do it yourself. Depending on what kind of knot they made if you cut on the wrong side it will leave suture under the skin instead of pulling out. It is also very important to use sterile instruments and technique to reduce risk of infection. The wound is closed..but the holes where the stitches insert are open to infection. Do you know a nurse or a paramedic who can do it for you?
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I'd wait until the dr said it was time to remove them. If you try to remove them yourself & leave any piece of suture behind, you'll end up with a nasty infection. If they were due to come out & you didnt go back to have them removed, I'd do so asap. Leaving sutures in too long, can also cause a bad infection.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 9:10 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Why not be smart and safe and go to the freaking doctor to do it
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:15 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• If you do it yourself, make SURE everything is sterilized really well. Clip the stitch beside the knot & pull the other side through, looking closely to make sure nothing is left in the wound. It's best to do every other stitch first, just to make sure it's not going to pop open on you. This is what we were taught in my nursing classes, & it's worked for me every time. Just watch it for a few days, & if it gets red or swollen, head to a doctor. Hugs, doll!

KA91

Answer by KA91 at 9:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• are you scheduled to go back to the doctor to have them removed? he/she needs to look @ it first to make sure it's time then the nurse will take them out if your finger is well
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• It's not hard. Just sterilize your tools first with alcohol. I have done it a few times. Use tweezers & some nail clipper.
    Anonymous

• BC we are moving before they have to be taken out. We will be on the road during the time they are due. We are doing aross county self move. :) Or I would go to the dr :)
    DancerMomof2

Comment by DancerMomof2 (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Maybe, I'll drink a bottle of tequila while sterilzing my clippers and tweezers :) That does sound fun lolololololol
    DancerMomof2

Comment by DancerMomof2 (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• See if they can remove them before you leave or wait till you get to where you're going. It doesnt HAVE to be taken out the very day they said it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:30 PM on Dec. 19, 2010