My daughter said we need some time apart and threatened to go to a shelter. She went to a friend's house instead. I know the girl's name but not her phone number. Do I have a right to keep my daughter home against her will.

mighty_V

Asked by mighty_V at 9:22 PM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Depends on how old she is. If she's 17 almost 18, cops will just let her do her own thing (depending on the state) If she's younger you can call the police and label her as a run away and her friends family can get in trouble for keeping her there.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• If she is under the age of 18 you have the right to do whatever you need to in order to keep her safe. If you don't want her gone then you need to call the police and report her as a runaway. I wish you luck and hope that this works for you.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Do you want her home for her own good or because you want that control?
    momofkids

Answer by momofkids at 9:26 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I used to run away from home when I was a teen. My mom would label me as a runaway, but it didn't really matter. I still stayed gone for months and the people never got in trouble either. The cops told me because I did it so much, they would only pick me up if I was up walking around past kerfew.

No offense, but why does she think you need time apart? Maybe you two do need some time apart. Maybe give her a couple days or even a week, then tell her you are going to need to discuss things. I suggest counseling for her and YOU. You may be able to find some better ways of handling your dilemma. Hang in there momma!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• If she is saying this, there are underlying issues that you aren't sharing on here. I think time apart and some family counseling may be in order for your family.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:30 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• are you sure she did not just say this so she could do as she pleased
    maybe she is not at a girlfriends house at all

just a maybe, i would be checking up on where she said she was at
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:30 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• sure, if ya wanna screw things up between you guys even more than what the apparently already are.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• i agree with Musicmom80 .. but i wouldnt give her a week just give her a few days!
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• She finished this quarter with very bad grades (8th grade) and I was trying to make her study during the break and clean her room. Maybe I got angry, just yielling...I can't just let her do whatever she wants, right?
    mighty_V

Comment by mighty_V (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• oh no if shes that young in the 8th grade i would def call the police and tell them she ran away!!
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 9:35 PM on Dec. 19, 2010